Documents: 43, displayed: 1 - 20

All Libraries and Collections

Preview Page
Aarau, Aargauer Kantonsbibliothek, MsBN 49
Parchment · 184 ff. · 12.5 x 8.5 cm · Bohemia · End of the 14th century / 1st half of the 15th century
Prayer book

This manuscript contains a collection of prayers in Bohemian; eight prayers are attributed to Johannes of Neumarkt (around 1310-1380), an early representative of Bohemian humanism. The manuscript is decorated with several red and blue initials. An image of the Arma Christi used to be glued onto f. 39r, of which only residue remains. (sau)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Aarau, Aargauer Kantonsbibliothek, MsWettF 9
Parchment · 260 ff. · 30.5 x 21 cm · Basel (?) · second quarter of the 14th century
Petrus Comestor; Alexander de Villa Dei; Petrus Pictaviensis

Composite manuscript from the second half of the 14th century. The main part contains the Historia scholastica by Petrus Comestor (1r-235v), augmented with various texts about the genealogy of Christ. The manuscript contains numerous graphic representations and illuminated initials which indicate provenance from Basel. The many holes in the parchment are artfully patched with embroidery. The manuscript originated in the Cistercian Monastery Maris Stella, Wettingen. (sau)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Bern, Burgerbibliothek, Cod. 306
Parchment · 8 ff. · 28.5 x 23-23.5 cm · France: Fleury · first third of the 11th century
Abbo Floriacensis: Computus; Annales Floriacenses breves

The manuscript consists of a single quaternio formerly bound with the present Cod. 250 of the Burgerbibliothek Bern. The quire continues the computistic content of the latter, here with Easter tables whose margins hold the Annales Floriacenses. The last page received a copy of Abbo’s second letter to Giraldus and Vitalis. (all)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Cologny, Fondation Martin Bodmer, Cod. Bodmer 133
Parchment · 124 ff. · 17 x 12 cm · Germany (Trier ?) · End of the 12th century
Ps. Pilo, Liber antiquitatem biblicarum. Hildebertus Cenomannensis, Carmina (extracts)

This manuscript, which was probably created in the St. Matthias-Eucharius Abbey in Trier, clearly belonged to the Benedictine abbey, as the ex libris on f. 1r declares. It contains, among others, the Liber antiquitatum biblicarum, which recounts Biblical history from Adam to King Saul, i.e., from the Book of Genesis to the Book of Samuel. This work was falsely attributed to Philo of Alexandria (1st century AD), the Hellenistic philosopher of Jewish culture. It also contains excerpts from the Carmina by the poet and Bishop of Tours Hildebert of Lavardin (1056-1133). (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Cologny, Fondation Martin Bodmer, Cod. Bodmer 141
Parchment · I + 80 + 1 ff. · 23.7 x 15 cm · Florence · 1466
Propertius, Elegien

This manuscript contains Propertius’ elegies; it was written in an elegant humanist script by Gian Pietro da Spoleto in Florence in 1466. The manuscript belonged to Antonello Petrucci d’Aversa (+ 1487), who was active in the Aragonese chancery and later in the library of the Aragonese kings in Naples. The initials at the beginning of each book as well as on the frontispiece are decorated with bianchi girari (white vine scroll); the coat of arms that should have appeared within the laurel wreath (f. 1r) was never executed. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Cologny, Fondation Martin Bodmer, Cod. Bodmer 150
Parchment · III + 88 + III ff. · 23.4 x 16.5 cm · Southwestern Germany · end of the 13th / beginning of the 14th century
Schwabenspiegel

The Schwabenspiegel (mirror of the Swabians) contains a collection of national and feudal laws; during the late Middle Ages it was used in Southern Germany, but it was also widely used in Bohemia and in present-day Switzerland up to the German-French language border. The manuscript was edited in the second half of the 13th century and thus belongs to the oldest of altogether more than 350 textual witnesses. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 142
Parchment · 255 ff. · 16.4 x 12.4 cm · Reichenau · 2nd half of the 9th century
Expositio Basilii episcopi et abbatis super regulam S. Benedicti abbatis

This is a witness of the so-called Basilius-version of the commentary on the Benedictine Rule, attributed to Hildemar of Corbie (died around 850). According to research by Hafner, this manuscript originated at Reichenau in the second half of the 9th century. (keg)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 153
Parchment · 146 ff. · 12 x 8.2 cm · 2nd half of the 14th century
Henricus Suso OP, Büchlein der ewigen Weisheit

With his brief "Büchlein der ewigen Weisheit,” the Dominican Henry Suso (1295-1366) created a work that was widely distributed in the late Middle Ages. This manuscript is part of the collection of the women’s cloister of St. Andrew in Engelberg; together with cod. 141, it is a very early witness of the text. (keg)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 340
Parchment · 210 ff. · 21.1 x 14 cm · 15th century
Henricus Suso OP, Büchlein der ewigen Weisheit

The origin of this Büchlein der ewigen Weisheit attributed to Henry Suso (1295-1366), is unknown; perhaps it originated in a Franciscan environment in the Western Alemannic region. This text may have been created about a century after the very early witnesses in codd. 141 and 153. (keg)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac , Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume I
Parchment · 373 ff. · 57.5-58 x 39-39.5 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1485/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars hiemalis (vol. I)

This first volume is part of a group of three antiphonaries which were produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent in the city of Bern shortly after the college’s founding in the years 1484/85. The manuscript contains the entire winter portion of the Temporale, of the Sanctorale and of the Commune Sanctorum according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. The book decoration with miniatures for numerous initials is attributed to the Master of the Breviary of Jost of Silenen, an itinerant artist who was active in Fribourg, Bern, Sion and later in Ivrea and Aosta. He got his name from a breviary in two volumes that was created around 1493 for the Bishop of Sion, Jost of Silenen (1482-1496). After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of antiphonaries was sold in 1530: four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two — among them a duplicate of this manuscript — reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained. They are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac , Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume II
Parchment · 315 ff. · 58.5 x 41-41.5 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1485/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Sanctis (vol. II)

This volume is part of a group of three antiphonaries which were produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the Proprium de sanctis and the Commune Sanctorum of the summer portion (March 25 to November 25) according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. The book decoration generally matches that of the first volume and can be attributed to a different anonymous illuminator of lesser quality. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530: four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two — among them a duplicate of this volume — reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained. They are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac , Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume III
Parchment · 120 ff. · 59 x 39.5-40 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1485/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Tempore (vol. III)

This is the third and last volume of a group of three antiphonaries which were produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the summer portion of the De Tempore according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. Its duplicate is contained in volume IV. The book decoration consists of five illuminated initials, fleuronée initials and cadels, by the same artist who also decorated volume I. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530. Four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained; they are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac , Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume IV
Parchment · 116 ff. · 58.5-59 x 41 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1485/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Tempore (vol. IV)

This volume is part of a group of three antiphonaries which were produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the summer portion of the De Tempore according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. Its duplicate is contained in volume III. The book decoration is by an anonymous artist; it consists of cadels, fleuronée initials and an illuminated initial with a border on f. 1r. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530. Four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained; they are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Genève, Bibliothèque de Genève, Ms. fr. 5
Parchment · 182 ff. · 27.8 x 20.5 cm · about 1460
François Ximenes, Livre des anges (El Llibre dels àngels)

In this work, written at the end of the 14th century in Valencia, the author describes the universe of angels, inspired by Dionysius the Areopagite’s De triplici gerarchia. The text, which was in wide use during the second half of the 15th century, was translated into French and published as a first printed edition in Geneva in the year 1478. The Ms. fr. 5 was illuminated by the Master of the Geneva Boccaccio and contains the coat of arms of Jeanne de Laval, second wife of King René of Anjou. (hoc)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Genève, Bibliothèque de Genève, Ms. lat. 34
Parchment · 126 ff. · 16.5 x 10.8 cm · workshop of the Abbey of St. Martin of Tours (France, Indre-et-Loire) (cf. F. Huot) · second half of the 15th century (cf. F. Huot)
Book of Hours for use in the Abbey of St. Martin of Tours

This manuscript from the second half of the 15th century is a book of hours for use in the Abbey of St. Martin of Tours. Six large miniatures remain, of which two pertain to the life of Christ, two are dedicated to the Annunciation, one to St. Joseph, and the last to St. Barbara. The calendar indicates the thirteen unlucky days (dies eger) of the year. With its old crimson velvet binding, its painted decorations and careful script, this manuscript had enriched the collection of the Petau family before it came to Geneva. (jeg)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Genève, Bibliothèque de Genève, Ms. lat. 91
Parchment · 327 ff. · 20.5 x 14.2 cm · France · End of the 15th century (cf. A. Dufour) or around 1460 (cf. B. Gagnebin)
Policraticus (The government of the state) by John of Salisbury

With a beautiful binding à la "Du Seuil", this 15th century manuscript contains the Policraticus (The government of the state), a work of reflections on the vanities of courtiers, written by John of Salisbury (1115/1120-1180). It was copied in a careful hand, and the text was decorated with a large miniature showing an author reading his text before the king of France. (jeg)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Genève, Bibliothèque de Genève, Ms. lat. 99
Parchment · 314 pp. · 20.7 x 14.1 cm · Florence · End of the 15th century (cf. H. Aubert and A. Dufour) or around 1478-1480 (cf. B. Gagnebin)
Amyris. Poem in honor of Sultan Sultans Mehmed II, by Gian Mario Filelfo

At the request of his friend Othman Lillo Ferducci of Ancona, Gian Mario Filelfo composed the Amyris in the years 1471-1476. This long Latin poem was intended to thank Sultan Mehmet II for having freed Ferducci’s brother-in-law, who had been taken prisoner by the Turcs during the capture of Constantinople in 1453. Gian Mario Filelfo had the manuscript decorated in Florence with "bianchi girari” ornamentation, had it bound in Urbino with a very beautiful Italian Renaissance binding, and then gave it to the Duke of Urbino, Federico da Montefeltro, at whose court he was staying in 1477 and 1478. (jeg)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Luzern, Zentral- und Hochschulbibliothek, P 6 4°
Parchment · 279 ff. · 14.5 x 11 cm · Paris, for the Archdiocese of Bamberg · End of the 15th century
Book of Hours

This Book of Hours belonged to the town clerk and alderman of Solothurn, Franz Haffner (1609-1671). It is set up for use in the Archdiocese of Bamberg and is written in northern Bavarian dialect, but it belongs to a group of devotional books that were produced in Paris and then exported to Nuremberg for sale. (kam)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Luzern, Zentral- und Hochschulbibliothek, P 33 4°
Parchment · 81 ff. · 24 x 16.5-17 cm · around 1200
Berno Augiensis; Walahfridus Strabo

This manuscript contains the life of Ulrich by Berno of Reichenau and the lives of St. Gall and St. Othmar. by Walafrid Strabo, as well as a copy of a document on the early history of St. Urban's Abbey, which is among the oldest surviving manuscripts in the St. Urban library. (kam)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Luzern, Zentral- und Hochschulbibliothek, P 34 4°
Parchment · 114 ff. · 22 x 15.5 cm · end of the 12th century
Isidorus Hispalensis

This manuscript contains the Sententiae as well as an excerpt from the Etymologiae by Isidore of Seville; furthermore as later additions it contains incantations, a notice on the early economic history of St. Urban's Abbey, and the blessing of the three angels. (kam)

Online Since: 12/18/2014