Documents: 59, displayed: 1 - 20

All Libraries and Collections

Preview Page
Aarau, Aargauer Kantonsbibliothek, MsWettF 10
Parchment · 127 ff. · 29-29.5 x 19.5-20 cm · second half of the 12th century
Gospel Book OCist

The manuscript called “Evangelia ad Missas” contains the Gospel readings for mass during the course of the year according to the Cistercian liturgy. It was written in the second half of the 12th century and is thus older than the Cistercian Wettingen Abbey, which was founded in 1227. It is not known in which monastery this manuscript was written and decorated with multi-colored initials with scroll ornamentation. (gam)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Aarau, Aargauer Kantonsbibliothek, MsWettQ 3
Parchment · 128 ff. · 22 x 17.5 cm · third quarter of the 13th century
Collectarius OCist (“Collectaneum“)

The Cistercian Collectarius dates from the third quarter of the 13th century. It contains liturgical prayers for the whole year. The manuscript’s place of origin is unknown; several historical notes indicate that it was used early on in Wettingen. The calendar contains entries of commemorative days for the monastery’s founders, and the short Notae dedicationum Wettingenses report on the founding and the equipping of the monastery. (gam)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Aarau, Aargauer Kantonsbibliothek, MsWettQ 4
Parchment · 486 pp. · 17 x 12.5 cm · first quarter of the 14th century
Breviarium OCist

This extensive breviary lists the texts for the Liturgy of the Hours throughout the church year for the Cistercian Order. The calendar of saints and the rank of the feasts correspond to those from the last third of the 13th century. Based on the script, this breviary can be dated to the early 14th century. It remains unclear since when the manuscript was in use at Wettingen Abbey. (gam)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Aarau, Aargauer Kantonsbibliothek, MsWettQ 5
Parchment · 115 ff. · 19 x 14 cm · second third of the 13th century
Consuetudines OCist

The Cistercian Consuetudines from the middle third of the 13th century include the foundational Carta caritatis and the practices regulating worship, the life of the lay brothers, the general chapter as well as other areas, up to the placing of accents in manuscripts. Several scribes contributed to the writing of this copy. In the 13th century, another scribe added medical recipes in German on previously blank pages. (gam)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Aarau, Aargauer Kantonsbibliothek, MsWettQ 6
Parchment · 34 ff. · 18.5 x 13.5 cm · last third of the 15th century; 16th century
Pontificale OCist

This Cistercian pontifical for the abbot dates from the last third of the 15th century; it contains various benedictions and liturgical formulations for the consecration of monks and nuns, and for the appointment of an abbess. The formulations for ordinations in convents of Cistercian nuns are written partly in German. (gam)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Basel, Pharmaziemuseum der Universität Basel, Cod. H154
Parchment · 71 ff. · 23.8 x 16.2 cm · 1st half of the 13th century
Copy of the Antidotarium Nicolai

This parchment manuscript dates from the first half of the 13th century. About 300 formulas for medical remedies are described on 72 leaves, including information on the production, use and effect of the remedies. The text is based on Nicolò Perposito’s Antidotarium from the medical school of Salerno. In general the manuscript has a simple text design with only a few small initials in red and blue ink, some with ornaments, embellishing the text. From enclosures it can be assumed that Mr. Ludwig Bertalot (1884-1960) probably was the previous owner of the manuscript. The Pharmacy Museum was able to purchase this manuscript in 2017 from Daniel Thierstein's antiquarian bookshop in Biel. In 2019/2020, Friederike Hennig restored the manuscript in Basel. (wan)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Basel, Universitätsbibliothek, A XI 72
Paper · 184 ff. · 14.5 x 10.5 cm · 15th century
Composite manuscript (theology)

This composite manuscript from the Carthusian Monastery of Basel, written by various 15th century hands, is decorated simply. The manuscript contains a miniature; on a torn out page, only remnants of a second miniature can be discerned. In two places, musical notes are added to the text. The texts collected in this volume consist almost exclusively of prayers, most of which are quite short, sometimes taking up no more than half a page of the already small-format manuscript. Some prayers are in prose, others are in verses. (fis)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Basel, Universitätsbibliothek, B XI 9
Parchment · 263 ff. · 11.5 x 9 cm · 1478
Meditationes de sanctis mulieribus virginibusque

This small-format parchment manuscript is from the Carthusian Monastery of Basel, where it was completed in 1478 by the scribe Johannes Gipsmüller. The numerous devotional texts on various female saints have mostly been passed down anonymously; some – such as those on Margareta, the patron saint of the Carthusian Monastery of Basel – can probably be attributed to Heinrich Arnoldi. The codex is decorated with full-page illustrations of saints treated in the text as well as numerous initials, the latter in a variety of styles. (mue)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Chur, Staatsarchiv Graubünden, B 1
Paper · 191 ff. · 20.5 x 14 cm · area of the diocese of Constance · end of the 15th century
Lucidarius, Konstanzer Weltchronik and Zürcher Chronik from the 15th century

This manuscript contains three different texts: The German Lucidarius (1r-32v), a didactic dialogue between master and student, is a Middle High German prose work written around 1190, which presents the contemporary theological and scientific knowledge of its time. The Constance World Chronicle (Konstanzer Weltchronik) (117r-150v) is a brief universal historical compendium, probably written in Konstanz in the 14th century. The Zurich Chronicle (Zürcher Chronik) (153r-191r), the oldest version of which dates from the 14th century, belongs to the genre of late medieval German city chronicles. The manuscript was written in the area of the diocese of Constance. The original owner was the not further identified Hans von Endiner. In the 18th century, the manuscript was owned by Georg Litzel, theologian and philologist from Ulm. How it found its way to Chur is unknown. (dec)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Cologny, Fondation Martin Bodmer, Cod. Bodmer 24
Parchment · 25 ff. · 27.5 x 17.5 cm · Cod.: 1910-1916; fragm.: end of the 4th-7th century (upper writing)
Fragments from the binding of a Syrian manuscript from Harput

This volume of 25 leaves was produced between 1910-1916 to preserve eight fragments from five Greek parchment manuscripts. The fragments, almost all palimpsests, had been found around 1896 in the binding of an unidentified Syrian gospel from Harput (Anatolia). A: Fragm. 1-2 (4th century ex / 7th century in): parts of ch. 15 of Didascalia apostolorum; B: Fragm. 3-4 (6th century): parts of ch. 3-4 of First Epistle of Paul to Timothy; C: Fragm. 5, in extremely poor state of preservation: contents and dating unknown; D: Fragm. 6 (7th century): parts of the prologue and the beginning of the scholia on book 24 of the Iliad; E: Fragm. 7-8 (7th century): parts of Psalms 108, 114 and 115. The content of the writing on the lower parts of the palimpsests is neither known nor dated. (and)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Cologny, Fondation Martin Bodmer, Cod. Bodmer 118
Paper · II + 94 ff. · 32.9 x 22.5 cm · Basel area · around 1520-1530?
De rebus bellicis and Notitia dignitatum

The two texts brought together in this manuscript, De rebus bellicis (ff. 5r-17v) and Notitia dignitatum (ff. 19r-94r), date back to antiquity. The first work presents war machines used by the Roman army, while the second text depicts the late Roman military organization in both the Western and Eastern Empires. From the outset, that is between the end of the 4th and the beginning of the 5th century, these texts were designed with illustrations, the oldest known copy of which, dating back to the end of the 9th and the beginning of the 10th century, was held in the library of Speyer Cathedral (today only a single leaf remains of that copy). The Speyer copy was borrowed by Cardinal Pietro Donato in 1436, when he was at the Council of Basel, where at least two copies were made and illuminated by Péronet Lamy (Oxford, Bodleian Library, Ms. Canon. Misc. 378; Paris, BnF, lat. 9661). The Fondation Bodmer’s manuscript is a more recent copy of these, made less than a century later. It may have been used for the edition of these two texts (including the images), which was undertaken by Sigismundus Gelenius and published in 1552 by Froben in Basel. (rou)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 12
Parchment · XV + 278 ff. · 26.4 x 19.6 cm · 21 June 1407
Nicolaus Bertrucius: Collectorium in parte practica medicinae

This manuscript was written by Heinricus Tierli (probably identical with Heinricus Tierlin, conductor in Schuttern and procurator in Freiburg im Breisgau); by means of the Explicit (f. 278vb), it can be dated to June 21, 1407. The main text (ff. 1r-278v) is introduced with Incipit Collectorium Bertrucii in parte practica medicine [...] (ff. V1r-V14r). This is followed by: Tabula primi libri (ff. V14r-V14v), Tituli secunde sectionis (ff. V14v-V15r), Tituli tercie sectionis (ff. V15r-V15v) and Tituli quarto sectionis (f. V15v). The title and text headings are in red, and individual initials are in in blue or red. The manuscript has a contemporary leather binding, metal clasps and a spine restored in 1978. A trimmed medieval document (see rear pastedown) was bound in. There are the following ownership notes: Hic liber pertinet Leonhardo hemerly de constancia (fol. 278vb), Sum Bernhardi Stoppelij M[edicinae] Doctoris (in a 17th century hand, f. V1r) and Magister petrus hemmerlis (original, no longer existing, front pastedown). (glo)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 39
Parchment · A, B + 90 + H-Z ff. · 27.3 x 19.7 cm · Italy, Rom · 1464-1471
Nicolaus Cusa: Cribratio Alcorani and Contra Bohemos

This single-column manuscript, created in the second half of the 15th century, was very carefully written by a scribe in a humanistic minuscule. The work contains two texts by Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa (1401-1464), Cribratio Alcorani (ff. 1r-70r) and Contra Bohemos (ff. 70v-90r). With Cribratio Alcorani he attempted a precise philological and historical investigation of the Koran, and in Contra Bohemos he dealt with Hussitism. The title page (f. 1r) is decorated with bianchi girari (white vine scrolls). Two medallions with coats of arms are integrated in the border. The coats of arms show a white lion on a blue background and are crowned with the papal insignia. The coat of arms can be attributed to Pope Paul II. (Pietro Barbo, 1464-1471), which shows that the manuscript was made by order of the pope or at least during his papacy. Initials at the beginning of each chapter are golden with a background in blue and green. Individual initials are emphasized more strongly and one is decorated with white vine scroll, corresponding to the title page. The binding of the manuscript, richly decorated with plant ornaments, medallions and depictions of saints, dates from the 16th century. The central medallion on the front shows Mary with the infant Jesus. (glo)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 48
Paper · A + 217 ff. · 31.8 x 22.5 cm · 1475
Prayer book

The prayer book was written in 1475 (f. 217v). The place of origin is unknown. The text begins with the incipit Diss büchlin ist von anis und zwantzig festen und von sextechen hochziten die durch das gantz jahr begangen werdent [...] (f. 1r). The initials and the incipit are highlighted in red. Otherwise, the text appears unadorned and was written in brown ink by one main hand in one column. Bound into the center of many quires are reinforcing strips from a 14th century missal (written in textualis). The leather binding, which was created at the same time as the manuscript, is decorated with diagonally arranged decorative lines and ornamental stamps. (glo)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 59
Parchment · A-F + 222 ff. · 22.7 x 17.6 cm · 1390; 21 March 1391
Opera Gregorii Magni

This single-column manuscript was written in a meticulous 14th century hand. The volume contains Omelie (homilies, ff. 1r-103r), Dialogi (dialogues, ff. 103v-170r) and the Liber pastoralis (ff. 172r-219v) by Pope Gregory I (542-604). The headings are written in red, and the manuscript contains red decorated initials on f. 103v and 172r. Furthermore, the main text of the manuscript is supplemented with various annotations by a somewhat later hand. The manuscript can be dated by means of various entries on f. 103r The main hand wrote Expliciunt omelie sancti Gregorij pape. Anno Nonagesimo. Two other hands noted domini 130° above the main text and 1390 next to it. On f. 219v the main hand also wrote Explicit Pastorale beati Gregorij pape Etc. Anno Millesimo ccc°. Nonagesimo primo. Finitus est liber iste in die s. Benedicti. The same page has a first ownership note Iste liber est domus throni sancte trinitatis in pletriach, which refers to the Carthusian monastery Pletriach in Slovenia. This volume came to the Thurgau Cantonal Library via the Ittingen Charterhouse (18th century ownership note on f. 1r). The white plate binding with two clasps dates from 1553 (dating can be found in the motif of Esaia). Just like manuscript Y 39, this binding also has plant ornaments and images of saints. (glo)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 62
Paper · I + 254 ff. · 30 x 20.7 cm · 1394
Composite manuscript with scholastic texts

This 1394 composite manuscript contains an excerpt of the Super libros sapientie (ff. 1r-192r) by Robert Holcot (ca. 1290-1349). Folio 1r has a note of ownership Jste liber est h. wahter prespiteri et detur filijs fratris mei (et johanni . heinrici by another hand) in remedium anime mee, which names Heinrich Wachter (priest) as the owner. This single-column manuscript was written in a cursive script by two different hands. Folios 1r-86v can unequivocally be attributed to Heinrich Wachter. Folios 87r-192r were written by an unknown second hand. The rest of the volume can also be ascribed, albeit not entirely unambiguously, to the two hands mentioned above. The pastedowns, the flyleaves and the reinforcing strips are from a register of names, perhaps from a chancellery. The wood-leather binding is contemporary. (glo)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 74
Paper · II + 162 pp. · 20.5 x 15.3 cm · St. Katharinental · first third of the 15th century
"Schwesternbuch" of St. Katharinental

The "Schwesternbuch" (sister-book) of St. Katharinental was written in Katharinental near Diessenhofen in the first third of the 15th century. It belongs to the genre of monastic vitae literature and contains the life stories and the experiences of grace of 58 residents of the convent. The cover was inscribed by Antonia Bögin or Botzin (archivist, † 1763) from Kaufbeuren as follows: Lebensbeschreibung viler in allhiessigem gottshauss heylig-mässig gelebter closter-jungfrawen. The table of contents on the front pastedown, the chapter headings with the names of the St. Katharinental nuns mentioned in the book, and an enumeration of the nuns' vitae in the margins of the sheets are in a later hand. The two-column manuscript was written by two different hands. The main hand (pp. 1a-144a) wrote the lives of the nuns and a prayer. Another prayer (pp. 144b-154a) was written by the second hand. The parchment binding with fastening straps dates from the 18th century. The front flyleaf also contains a note of ownership: diss buoch ist schwester Margreten von Ulm († 1583) closterfrow in Sankt Kattrinen thal by Diessenhofen. For the year 1720, Sister Antonia is presumably registered on p. 104 as the new owner of the sister book. (glo)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 128a
Paper · A + 82 + Y, Z ff. · 30.7 x 22.8 cm · Überlingen · 4 Nov. 1495
Composite manuscript with homiletic content

This composite manuscript of homiletic content was written in Überlingen in 1495. Not only the place of origin of the manuscript, opido ùberlingen, but also the name of its author – scribebat Stephanus hamgarter nomen –, Stephanus Hamgarter von Stein (former parish assistant in Seefelden near Überlingen), can be gathered from the explicit (f. 38vb). The composite manuscript contains the Sermones dominicales de tempore (ff. 1ra-38vb) by Peregrinus de Oppeln (ca. 1260-1335), a Sermo de passione domini (ff. 59ra-66va), and further sermons (ff. 66va-82v). The volume was restored by “Hans Heiland und Sohn” in 1965, who also provided it with a new green leather binding. (glo)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 131
Parchment · 190 ff. · 37.7 x 29 cm · Fischingen? · 10 December 1498
Psalterium feriatum ad usum ecclesiae Fischingensis

From the colophon (Finitus est liber Iste feria secunda Post festum Concepcionis virginis Marie. Anno domini 1498. Per fratrem iohannem Coci Conuentualem huius monastery. Iiij ydus decembris Laus deo, f. 186r), it can be inferred that this Psalter was written by Johannes Koch (mentioned in the Fischinger necrology and documented between 1498 and 1514, parish priest in Bichelsee (TG) from 1483 on) and that it was finished in 1498. It is striking that the writing on ff. 98r-110r was traced with black ink by a later hand. The paper pages with a hymn (ff. 187r-188v) were probably added later. The pages of musical notes have 5 red lines with German plainsong notation (“Hufnagelnotation"). The manuscript also has a simple red title (f. 1r): Incipit psalterium in nomine domini, immediately followed by a listing of the workdays. Headings are also kept in red. The front and back covers show the imprint of the former pastedowns. The contemporary yellow leather binding with Renaissance press patterns from the 15th and 16th century has two clasps as well as corner fittings. In addition, the front cover bears an 18th century paper label that unmistakably refers to the Benedictine Fischingen Abbey with the shelfmark C:XV. S:13. Notat: 10. (glo)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 156
Parchment · A + 106 + Z ff. · 23 x 17 cm · 1418?
William of Tocco: Das Lesen [!] St. Thomas Aquinas

This work, written in German, contains the life of Thomas Aquinas written by William of Tocco (1240-1323). On f. 106v, there is also a note on the writer and on the possible patroness of the work: Dis buoch hat ze tùtsche bracht gemachet vnd geschriben pfaff Eberhard von Rapreswil kilcherr zu Jonen (addition anno 1418 by a 16th or 17th century hand). Dem sol Got vnsri frow sant Thoman der heilig lerer vnd die erwirdig frow die Stoeklerin ze Toess wol lonen. According to this entry, the 15th century hand goes back to Eberhard von Rapperswil, who was pastor in Jona in the canton of St. Gallen. The woman who commissioned the work is considered to be the nun Stöklerin from Töss (probably Elsbeth Stükler). This makes the work one of the few German translations of the life of Thomas Aquinas. Individual initials are not only highlighted in red, but are also decorated. The manuscript has a raspberry-red leather binding with clasps, which was restored in the 20th century. The detached pastedowns in the front and back are from a 13th century manuscript with neumes (probably a Kyriale). The manuscript contains two ownership notes: Dijs buoch ist erhart blarer von Wartensee zuo Kemten, guothsher zuo kemtem vnd zuo Werdeg (f. 106v) and Monasterij apud D.[ivam] Yddam in Visch.[ingen] (f. 1r). Accordingly, the manuscript belonged to Prince Abbot Johann Erhard Blarer von Wartensee in Kempten, who is documented to have been active from 1587 to 1594; subsequently the manuscript became the property of Fischingen Abbey. (glo)

Online Since: 12/10/2020

Documents: 59, displayed: 1 - 20