Documents: 1363, displayed: 381 - 400

All Libraries and Collections

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 336
Paper · 112 ff. · 21.5 x 14.5 cm · Engelberg (parts also from Stans?) · between 1378 and 1386
"Engelberger Predigten" (Composite manuscript Eb)

The third volume, now missing materials from the end, of a codicologically heterogeneous composite of fascicle groups and individual leaves containing copies of sermons in German, assembled near the end of the 14th century or early in the 15th century for use in the women's cloister of St. Andreas at Engelberg. Together with Cod. 335, this is the oldest textual witness for the body of works known as the "Engelberger Predigten" (formerly the "Engelberger Prediger"). Scribes have been identified as the latter Johannes von Bolsenheim, Prior of Engelberg, and the clerk of Lucerne and lay prebendary Johannes Friker, who died in 1388. The Benedictine nuns of St. Andreas took the two complementary volumes Cod. 335 and Cod. 336 (a third volume may have been lost) as well as Cod. 337 and at least 24 additional manuscripts with them to their new location at Sarnen; these have been held in the library of Engelberg Abbey since 1887. (sta)

Online Since: 12/21/2010

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 337
Paper · 85 ff. · 21.5 x 14 cm · probably between 1415 and 1420
"Engelberger Predigten" (Manuscript F)

The collection of nine Easter sermons in German from the body of works known as the "Engelberger Predigten" (früher "Engelberger Prediger") found in the Cod. 337 copy, which was probably made between 1415 and 1420, provides additional content to that found in the sermon collection in Engelberg Codices 335 and 336. In 1615 the Benedictine nuns of St. Andreas took this volume as well as Cod. 335, Cod. 336 and at least 24 additional manuscripts with them to their new location at Sarnen; these have been held in the library of Engelberg Abbey since 1887. (sta)

Online Since: 12/21/2010

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 339
Paper · 189 ff. · 21.5 x 15.0 cm · Lucerne · 1396
The Nikolaus Schulmeister Passion Tract

Paper manuscript with colored pen sketches from 1396. The Passion tract follows the Vita Christi by Ludolf von Sachsen (of which it is the first German version), the liturgical tract follows Marquard von Lindau. Produced by Nicholaus Schulmeister, clerk of Lucerne from 1368 to 1402, for Lucerne patrician widow Margaretha von Waltersberg. After her death the codex was to be inherited by the nuns. It remained in their possession until 1887 and since then has been held in the library of Engelberg Abbey. (gre)

Online Since: 11/04/2010

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 340
Parchment · 210 ff. · 21.1 x 14 cm · 15th century
Henricus Suso OP, Büchlein der ewigen Weisheit

The origin of this Büchlein der ewigen Weisheit attributed to Henry Suso (1295-1366), is unknown; perhaps it originated in a Franciscan environment in the Western Alemannic region. This text may have been created about a century after the very early witnesses in codd. 141 and 153. (keg)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 1003
Parchment · 122 ff. · 22.5 x 16 cm · 12th/13th century
Antiphonarium cum notis musicis

The principal part of this manuscript consists of the Antiphonale. The mostly neumed Mass chants for the church year and for the saints’ days (ff. 3v-83v are supplemented with processional chants, litanies and a sequentiary (ff. 83v-109r). Bound into the manuscript at the beginning (ff. 1r-2v) and at the end (ff. 109r-122v) are 13th century supplements, among them a neumed German-language sequence dedicated to Mary (fol. 115r) and an elegy on the death of King Philip of Swabia of the House of Hohenstaufen, who was murdered in 1208 (fol. 117v). (keg)

Online Since: 09/23/2014

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 1005
Parchment · 178 ff. · 24.0 x 18/18.5 cm · Engelberg · 1143-1178
Paschasius Radbertus, In lamentationes Jeremiae Prophetae

During construction work in 1963, this commentary by Paschasius Radbertus on the Lamentations of Jeremiah was discovered along with 9 other manuscripts in a false floor over the Engelberg library. On the basis of the verse inscription on 1r, the manuscript can be attributed to the library of Abbot Frowin of Engelberg (1143-1178). The hand and the decoration correspond to those characteristic of the Frowin volumes: the text is in black-brown ink with occasional capitals that are accentuated in red, the incipits and explicits are rubricated, simple initials are in red ink, and decorative initials have tendril and bulb motifs in colorful inks (2r, 40v, 73v, 126r, 163r). (grd)

Online Since: 10/04/2011

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 1007
Parchment · 116 ff. · 28.5 x 20.0 cm · Engelberg · 1143-1178
Gregorii Papae Homilia

This codex with the homilies on the Gospels by Saint Gregory was discovered in 1963 along with 9 other volumes during construction work in the monastery of Engelberg. 1v-2r and 46v each list the titles of 20 homilies. The volume has on 113r-116v various collections and lists, including on 114r, after an excised page, the so-called school-book list. The individual Homilies are each indicated with a red initial and red incipit and explicit. The only change of hands in the well-proportioned script can be observed on 40r-44r. Tears in the parchment have been artfully stitched up. A contract text on 1r and a dedicatory poem on 1v attest that the manuscript was produced under Abbot Frowin of Engelberg (1143-1178). (grd)

Online Since: 10/04/2011

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 1008
Parchment · 160 ff. · 28.5 x 20 cm · Engelberg · 1143-1178
Augustinus, De civitate dei

For centuries this manuscript was unknown, until in 1963 it was discovered along with several other codices (including 1003, 1005, 1007, 1009) in a false floor over the library of Engelberg Abbey. The circumstances surrounding this stash – perhaps protection from theft or some other threat – are unknown. On the basis of how it was produced and the verse on 1r, the codex can be placed among the series of volumes with text by Augustine (Cod. 12-18, 87-88 and 138) in the library of Abbot Frowin (1143-1178). (grd)

Online Since: 06/09/2011

Preview Page
Engelberg, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. 1009
Parchment · 149 ff. · 31.5 x 21.5 cm · Engelberg · 1143-1178
Paulus Orosius, Historiarum adversum paganos libri VII

An Engelberg copy of the historical work Historiarum adversum paganos libri VII by the ecclesiastical author Orosius. The Engelberg exemplar was commissioned under Abbot Frowin (1143-1178). It contains, among other items, noteworthy initials in the Engelberg book decoration style of the time and a large number of glosses. The manuscript is a meticulous copy from the St. Gall exemplar, Cod. 621 (9th century). This Engelberg manuscript later served as the master text for yet another copy, Cod. 60 of the Schaffhausen City Library (Schaffhauser Stadtbibliothek). (keg)

Online Since: 07/31/2007

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume I
Parchment · 373 ff. · 57.5-58 x 39-39.5 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1485/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars hiemalis (vol. I)

This volume is part of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent in the city of Bern shortly after the college’s founding in the years 1484/85. The manuscript contains the entire winter portion of the Temporale, of the Sanctorale and of the Commune Sanctorum according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. The book decoration with miniatures for numerous initials is attributed to the Master of the Breviary of Jost of Silenen, an itinerant artist who was active in Fribourg, Bern, Sion and later in Ivrea and Aosta. He got his name from a breviary in two volumes that was created around 1493 for the Bishop of Sion, Jost of Silenen (1482-1496). After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of antiphonaries was sold in 1530: four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two — among them a duplicate of this manuscript — reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained. They are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume II
Parchment · 315 ff. · 58.5 x 41-41.5 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1485/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Sanctis (vol. II)

This volume is part of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the Proprium de sanctis and the Commune Sanctorum of the summer portion (March 25 to November 25) according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. The book decoration generally matches that of the first volume and can be attributed to a different anonymous illuminator of lesser quality. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530: four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two — among them a duplicate of this volume — reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained. They are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume III
Parchment · 120 ff. · 59 x 39.5-40 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1485/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Tempore (vol. III)

This is the third and last volume of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the summer portion of the De Tempore according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. Its duplicate is contained in volume IV. The book decoration consists of five illuminated initials, fleuronée initials and cadels, by the same artist who also decorated volume I. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530. Four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained; they are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume IV
Parchment · 116 ff. · 58.5-59 x 41 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1485/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Tempore (vol. IV)

This volume is part of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the summer portion of the De Tempore according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. Its duplicate is contained in volume III. The book decoration is by an anonymous artist; it consists of cadels, fleuronée initials and an illuminated initial with a border on f. 1r. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530. Four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained; they are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Flawil, Gemeinde Flawil, Burgauer Offnung
Parchment · 37 ff. · 21 x 27 cm · Burgau · 10 August 1469
The Burgau ‘Offnung’ of 1469

The Burgau Offnung of 1469 is a medieval law book. It governs the relations of associates in the law courts, at the princely court, and in communal landholdings within a court district (here the lower court of Burgau near Flawil) with the lord of that court, the "Vogt" (reeve). At the time this was Rudolf IX Giel of Glattburg, a ministry official of the abbot of St. Gall Abbey. Originally the Burgau Offnung was part of a single volume together with those of Flawil, Gebhartschwil, Uffhoven and Rudlen. The Flawil Offnung (up to page 17) was removed and bound separately. Preceding the text of the Burgau Offnung on pp. 18-28 were those of the Offnung of gebhartschwil, uffhoven und rudeln. The book was entrusted to the respective “Ammann” (head of the district council) of Burgau of the time. After 1798, following the dissolution of the lower court, the book transferred to the village corporation of Burgau. After consolidation of Burgau with Flawil, the book came into the custody of the municipality of Flawil. (sce)

Online Since: 06/23/2014

Preview Page
Flawil, Gemeinde Flawil, Flawiler Offnung
Parchment · 21 ff. · 20.5 x 29.5 cm · Burgau · 1471/1472
The Flawil ‘Offnung’

The Flawil Offnung of 1471, sealed on 21 January 1472, is a medieval law book. It governs the relations of associates in the law courts, at the princely court, and in communal landholdings within a court district (here the lower court of Flawil) with the lord of that court, the "Vogt" (reeve). At the time this was Rudolf IX Giel of Glattburg, a ministry official of the abbot of St. Gall Abbey. This document provides an insight into the legal and economic situation towards the end of the 15th century. Originally the Flawil Offnung was part of a single volume together with those of Gebhartschwil, Uffhoven and Rudlen (Aufhofen and Rudeln) as well as Burgau. Later the Flawil Offnung (up to page 17) was removed. Due to the dissolution of the lower court, after 1798 the Flawil Offnung was transferred to the citizens’ corporation or today’s municipality of Flawil. (sce)

Online Since: 06/23/2014

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 19
Paper · 294 ff. · 36,4 x 27,2 cm · Hagenau · about 1450
"Historienbibel". Old Testament

The Frauenfeld history Bible (“Historienbibel”) was completed in about 1450 in the atelier of Diebold Lauber at Hagenau (Alsace) and revised somewhat later. It contains 80 illustrations, each showing the work of three separate hands. It was probably in the possession of the Cloister of Augustinian Canons at Kreuzlingen beginning in the 16th century. (lug)

Online Since: 03/22/2012

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 24
Parchment · 366 ff. · 19 x 14.3 cm · Besançon · 13th/14th century
Burgundian Breviary

Breviary, rubricated red and blue, with numerous initials on a gold background as well as drolleries at the lower margin. Calendar with the signs of the zodiac and with agricultural tasks to be carried out in each month. Particularly worthy of emphasis are the full-page representations of St. Christopher (p. 176), of the Adoration of the Magi (p. 178), and of Christ on the Cross (p. 179). Based on the mention of saints in the calendar and in the rest of the manuscript, it was probably created in Besançon. From there, by unexplained means, it came into the possession of the patrician family Wallier of Solothurn: owners’ entries by Guillaume Wallier (16th century) and Henri Wallier (1605) on p. 4 and p. 731, the latter’s also on the front cover. On p. 90 of the 1858 catalogue of the cantonal library of Thurgau, the provenance is given as Fischingen. Possibly the mansucript reached Fischingen by means of one of the two abbots of Fischingen from Solothurn, Augustin Bloch from Oberbuchsitten (1776-1815) or the last Abbot of Fischingen, Franz Fröhlicher from Bellach (1836- 1848). (lug)

Online Since: 04/23/2013

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 80
Paper · 231 ff. · 28.5 x 20.5 cm · region of Lake Constance · 1460-1470
Composite manuscript with German sacred and profane texts from the Late Middle Ages

This composite manuscript was produced between 1460 and 1470 in the region of Lake Constance. Perhaps it was held for some time by the Ittingen Charterhouse near Frauenfeld. It contains late medieval sacred and profane texts, which were published for the first time in part based on this manuscript, such as Die fünf Herzeleid Mariä, the Frauenfelder Passionsgedicht and a prose recension of Wolfram's Willehalm, as well as an excerpt from the Büchlein der ewigen Weisheit by Henry Suso. (lug)

Online Since: 04/23/2013

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 102
Paper · 18 + 1 ff. · 31.0 x 20.1 cm · Ittingen, Carthusian Monastery · about 1634
Heinrich Murer: Abbatia B[eat]ae Mariae Virg.: & B[eat]ae Iddae Viduae in Piscina

Chronicle of Fishingen Abbey by Heinrich Murer (1588-1638, a monk at the Carthusian monastery of Ittingen from 1614), which is probably based on the Chronicle of Jakob Bucher, also a monk at the Ittingen monastary, whose Chronicle of the abbey of Fishingen was completed between September 15, 1627 and September 14, 1628. (lug)

Online Since: 10/15/2007

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Kantonsbibliothek Thurgau, Y 103
Paper · 48 + 12 ff. · 31.5 x 20.5 cm · Ittingen, Carthusian Monastery · after 1630
Chronicle of the Abbey of St. Gall

The Chronicle of St. Gall abbey by Heinrich Murer (1588-1638, a member of the Carthusian Cloister of Ittingen from 1614). According to his own account, Murer based his work on the writings of St. Gall religious community member, legal expert and abbey librarian Jodocus Metzler (1574-1639), among others. The chronicle extends from the founding of the abbey by St. Gallus until the year 1630. (lug)

Online Since: 06/22/2010

Documents: 1363, displayed: 381 - 400