Documents: 628, displayed: 601 - 620

St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek

The Abbey Library of St. Gall is one of the oldest monastic libraries in the world; it is the most important part of St. Gall’s Abbey district UNESCO world heritage site. The library’s valuable holdings illustrate the development of European culture and document the cultural achievements of the Monastery of St. Gall from the 7th century until the dissolution of the Abbey in the year 1805. The core of the library is its manuscript collection with its preeminent corpus of Carolingian-Ottonian manuscripts (8th to 11th century), a significant collection of incunabula and an accumulated store of printed works from the 16th century to the present day. The Abbey Library of St. Gall was a co-founder of the project e-codices. With its famous Baroque hall, where temporary exhibitions are hosted, the Abbey Library of St. Gall is one of the most visited museums in Switzerland.

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1402
Paper · 268 pp. · 23.5 x 29.5 cm · Abbey Library of St. Gall, F. Ildefons von Arx · 1827
Catalog of manuscripts of the Abbey Library of St. Gall, compiled by Father Ildefons von Arx from 1827

This large-format volume, bound like a Baroque missal in wooden boards with a leather cover and decorative plaques, contains the catalog of manuscripts of the library of the secularized Monastery of St. Gall, uniformly compiled in 1827 by the abbey librarian at the time, F. Ildefons von Arx (1755−1833). This is the oldest catalog of manuscripts from St. Gall; it lists the manuscripts in the order of the shelfmarks introduced in 1780/82 and still valid today: from Cod. Sang. 1 to Cod. Sang. 1399. The catalog begins with a brief history of the cataloguing of manuscripts at St. Gall Abbey up to this time (p. 1). Then the following, usually very brief information is provided in rubrics and columns (pp. 2239), each codex taking up one double page: a) the manuscript’s shelfmark; b) the date (usually in centuries); c) the format of the codex and the old shelfmark from F. Pius Kolb’s manuscript catalog (cf. Cod. 1400/1401); d) the author and title of the manuscript, sometimes a short summary of its contents; e) the incipit of the manuscript; f) a specification of the number of the last page, sometimes the explicit of the manuscript; g) the scribe, script, writing material, binding, former owner; h) general relevant information about the codex. In 1846 Carl Johann Greith (1807−1882), who later headed the abbey library and who, for the last twenty years of his life, was Bishop of St. Gall, completed the catalog with identically ordered information for codices 1400 to 1500 (pp. 240-257). The last pages are blank. (smu)

Online Since: 06/25/2015

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1403
Paper · 450 pp. · 20.5 x 14.8 cm · Abbey Library of St. Gall, P. Franz Weidmann · around 1840/43
Manuscript Catalog of the Abbey Library of St. Gall, compiled by Abbey Librarian P. Franz Weidmann around 1840, Part 1: Codices 1-337A

First volume of the handwritten manuscript catalog by Abbey Librarian P. Franz Weidmann (1774−1843; Abbey Librarian 1836−1843), for the manuscripts no. 1 to 337A of the Abbey Library of St. Gall. Weidmann’s manuscript descriptions are comprehensive and detailed, but, according to Johannes Duft in his 1983 history of the cataloguing of the manuscripts of the St. Gall Abbey Library, “unausgeglichen” (unbalanced). The manuscripts are usually described as follows: shelfmark, format, writing material, number of pages, and a the end the “character” of the manuscript and its dating. Cod. Sang. 1689 contains the draft of the first two parts of Weidmann’s manuscript catalog (Cod. Sang. 1-689). (smu)

Online Since: 10/08/2015

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1404
Paper · 575 pp. · 38.2 x 24.5 cm · Abbey Library of St. Gall, P. Franz Weidmann · around 1840/43
Manuscript Catalog of the Abbey Library of St. Gall, compiled by Abbey Librarian P. Franz Weidmann around 1840, Part 2: Codices 337B−689

Second part of the handwritten manuscript catalog by Abbey Librarian P. Franz Weidmann (1774−1843; Abbey Librarian 1836−1843), for the manuscripts no. 337B to 689 of the Abbey Library of St. Gall. Weidmann’s manuscript descriptions are comprehensive and detailed, but, according to Johannes Duft in his 1983 history of the cataloguing of the manuscripts of the St. Gall Abbey Library, “unausgeglichen” (unbalanced). The manuscripts are usually described as follows: shelfmark, format, writing material, number of pages, and a the end the “character” of the manuscript and its dating. Cod. Sang. 1689 contains the draft of the first two parts of Weidmann’s manuscript catalog (Cod. Sang. 1-689). (smu)

Online Since: 10/08/2015

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1405
Paper · 567 (p. 671 – p. 1142) pp. · 35 x 22.5 cm · Abbey Library of St. Gall, P. Franz Weidmann · around 1840/43
Manuscript Catalog of the Abbey Library of St. Gall, compiled by Abbey Librarian P. Franz Weidmann around 1840, Part 3: Codices 690−1399

Draft of a third part of the handwritten manuscript catalog by Abbey Librarian P. Franz Weidmann (1774−1843; Abbey Librarian 1836−1843), for the manuscripts no. 690 to 1399 of the Abbey Library of St. Gall. Weidmann’s manuscript descriptions are comprehensive and detailed, but, according to Johannes Duft in his 1983 history of the cataloguing of the manuscripts of the St. Gall Abbey Library, “unausgeglichen” (unbalanced). The descriptions often contain pages of remarks regarding the content of the codices, which is considered in great detail. The manuscripts are usually described as follows: shelfmark, format, writing material, number of pages, and a the end the “character” of the manuscript and its dating. P. Franz Weidmann was able to complete a clean copy of the first two volumes of his manuscript catalog; he passed away prior to starting the third part, so that this exists only as a draft in Cod. Sang. 1405. (smu)

Online Since: 10/08/2015

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1413
Paper · 422 pp. · 39.3 x 24.5 cm · St. Gall Abbey (P. Johann Nepomuk Hauntinger) · 1798
The Diarium Sangallense – Diary of Abbey Librarian P. Johann Nepomuk Hauntinger from March 10 to August 31, 1798, with copies of letters and documents from the period of the occupation of the Princely Abbey of St. Gall

This volume, initiated and probably for the most part written by Abbey Librarian Johann Nepomuk Hauntinger (1756−1823), contains diary entires and a large number of copies of letters and documents about the events at St. Gall Abbey and in the territory of the princely abbey between March 10 and August 31, 1798. The contents mirror the chaos reigning at the time: the invasion of St. Gall by French troops, the precipitous events at the monastery and in the territory of the princely abbey, the evacuation of the abbey library and the monastery archives to neighboring countries, the expulsion and the fate of the St. Gall monks, their contacts with the Helvetic authorities, the hectic diplomatic efforts to avert an inescapable fate, the desperation of some of the monks (p. 228: Domine, salva nos, perimus!). The letters convey both the internal correspondence among the conventuals of the monastery and the external contacts of a monastic community in the process of dissolution; they are written mostly in German, occasionally in Latin. (smu)

Online Since: 10/13/2016

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1426
Paper · 110 ff. · 32.7 x 20.8 cm · monastery of St. Gall, P. Joseph Bloch · 1793
History of the house of the lay brothers of the Monastery of St. Gall

The St. Gall Conventual P. Joseph Bloch (1754−1799) compiled this history of the lay brothers of the Monastery of St. Gall from numerous sources in 1793. The text is written partly in Latin and partly in German. In the first part (fol. 6r21r), Bloch introduces the institution of the lay brothers. He describes the residences of the lay brothers or conversi over the centuries, he discusses their tasks and duties and their conduct with respect to worldly goods, and he describes their seal. In the second part he recounts, in chronological order, important episodes and stories about the lay brothers from the 15th century to the year 1793 (fol. 22r79v). A third part lists the names of all the lay brothers who were part of the community from the abbacy of Eglolf Blarer (1426−1442) until 1793 (fol. 89r101r). Between parts 2 and 3 the author inserted, like a transcript and written by another hand, serious exhortations by Prince-Abbot Beda Angehrn (1767−1796) to the lay brothers from the year 1775 (fol. 80r83v). Because of several problems, the St. Gall abbot had called all the lay brothers to him. The manuscript’s frontispiece (fol. 4v) shows a lay brother in 16th century garb. (smu)

Online Since: 06/25/2015

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1442
Parchment · 132 pp. · 26 x 17.5 cm · Monastery of St. Gall · 1611
Necrology of the Monastery of St. Gall

This necrology was compiled in 1611 from older books of the dead at the behest of Prince-Abbot Bernhard Müller (1594-1630); it replaces the necrology in Cod. Sang. 452. The records were continued until 1847. In addition to abbots, monks and lay brothers from the monastery, the register also lists persons who were admitted into the confraternity as benefactors of the monastery. Later entries indicate the year of death, occasionally also the place of death or of burial. The age of the deceased is mentioned only in exceptional cases. The last pages (pp. 126-131) contain directions for Masses for the dead and similar forms of commemoration of the dead. According to a note by Franz Weidmann (p. 1), after the secularization of the monastery the manuscript temporarily was in the possession of Fr. Aemilianus Hafner, who gave it to the library in 1840. (sno)

Online Since: 09/23/2014

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1452B
Parchment · VI + 80 + VI pp. · 36.7 x 27–27.5 cm · 1691
Vesperale

Pontifical vesperal of St. Gall Prince-Abbott Cölestin Sfondrati (Abbot 1687–1696). It was found in 1846 among the books of St. Gall friar Notker Hager († 1836). This volume contains the chants for Vespers (antiphones and hymns) for the Feasts of Jesus Christ and for the saints' feast days throughout the church year. Only the incipits are each written in German plainsong notation (“Hufnagelnotation”) on five lines. Each feast is decorated with initials in the style of grotesques and with several marginal miniatures (on p. 56 is the oldest colored view of the Monastery of St. Gall). The volume is divided into Proprium de tempore (pp. 130), Proprium sanctorum (pp. 3163), Commune sanctorum (pp. 6474) and Festum sanctorum reliquiarum monasterii sancti Galli (pp. 7577). (sno)

Online Since: 06/25/2015

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1513
Paper · XLV + 131 pp. · 34 x 16.5 cm · Abbey of Saint Gall · 1775
Confessio fidei Armenicæ ecclesiæ in Armenian and Latin

The manuscript was copied in 1775 by Fr. Romano (Romanus) Fromenwiller for the Prince-Abott Beda Angehrn of Saint Gall most probably at the Abbey of Saint Gall. It is a shortened copy of the two parts from the book Theasaurus linguæ Armenicæ (Արամեան լեզուին գանձ), published by Joachim Schröder in 1711 in Amsterdam. The main content of the manuscript is the Ecclesiæ armenicæ confessio (Part 3 of the Theasaurus linguæ Armenicæ), which is followed by an alphabetical table, accompanied by a transliteration of the Armenian letters into Latin characters, copied from Part 2 of the Theasaurus linguæ Armenicæ. (gri)

Online Since: 09/26/2017

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1718a
Paper · VII + 691 + 82 + 60 pp. · 31.7 x 21 cm · monastery of St. Gall (P. Gregor Schnyder) · 1693 (with contemporaneous supplements until 1793)
The Hierogazophylacium Monasterii Sancti Galli – catalog of the church treasury of the Gallusmünster (Church of St. Gall) from the year 1693

Volume 1 so-called Sacrarium Sancti Galli in six volumes (which could not be found at the time of Gustav Scherrer’s cataloguing of manuscripts before 1875). Volumes 2 to 6 of the Sacrarium have the shelfmarks Cod. Sang. 1719−1723. This volume lists the cult objects such as chalices, statues, monstrances, candle holders, small altars, patens, censers, reliquaries, etc. that made up the church treasure of the Monastery of St. Gall in the year 1693. This overview, compiled and written by Father Gregor Schnyder (1642-1708) and dedicated to the Prince-Abbot of St. Gall Cölestin Sfondrati (1687−1696), includes historical information about the individual cult objects and illustrates these objects with 60 realistic images in opaque colors. This register is of great importance today since many of the objects were lost, were seized or were melted down during the military invasions by troops from Zurich and Bern in 1712, by the French in May 1789, through the secularization of the monastery in 1805 and the following liquidation of a great part of the abbey’s property. Various works by renowned gold- and silversmiths of the early modern period (including Hans Jacob Bayr, Augsburg; Heinrich Domeisen, Rapperswil; Fidel Ramsperg, Appenzell; Johannes Renner, Wil) can be reconstructed only through this Hierogazophylacium (German: Heiligschatzbehälter, ‘container of holy treasure). Other cult objects are still part of the cathedral treasure of St. Gall today, such as the Spoon of St. Gall (p. 170b), which remains in liturgical use today, or the small reliquary monstrance containing parts of the sackcloth belt and robe of St. Gall (p. 168b). In his compilation Fr. Gregor Schnyder paid special attention to the relics contained in the various objects; he noted their origin and copied certificates about their authenticity. This volume is introduced by a frontispiece in shades of brown (fol. IIIr), which shows the founding legend of the Monastery of St. Gall with the Church of St. Gall as it appeared around 1693 in the background. (smu)

Online Since: 03/17/2016

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1719
Paper · 765 pp. · 32 x 20.5 cm · St. Gall Abbey (F. Gregor Schnyder) · 1699
Sacrarium Sancti Galli, Vol. II: Transfers of saints in the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall, 7th to 17th century

This volume, written almost exclusively in Latin, contains a compilation of texts taken from numerous older sources about transfers of saints in the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall. The St. Gall monk and custos Gregor Schnyder (1642−1708) compiled and wrote the text, mostly in chronological order, and presented it to Abbot Leodegar Bürgisser (abbot 1696−1717) on 19 April 1699, his name day. The illustrations in opaque colors were done by Father Gabriel Hecht (1664−1745). At the beginning there are descriptions of the various transfers of the relics of Saint Gall between about 640 and 1484 (fol. IXv – p. 20) and those of Saint Othmar between 759 and 1692 (pp. 24b99). This is followed by reports about the transfers of the relics of Notker Balbulus as well as of his beatification in 1513 (pp. 104b163) and about the dislocation of the relics of Othmar and Notker that was necessitated by the new construction of the church of Othmar (pp. 169286). Next are reports of donations of relics of various saints from and of the Abbey of St. Gall (pp. 287354), among them reports about the arrival of the relics of the saints Magnus (898), Constantius of Perugia (904), Remaclus of Stavelot (1035), Faith of Agen (1084), Charles Borromeo (1611), Sigisbert and Placidus from Disentis Abbey (1624) and Bishop Landolo of Treviso (1631), which were particularly revered in the Abbey of St. Gall. The back part of the manuscript contains compilations of documents and reports about the 17th century transfers of Roman catacomb saints to the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall: there are descriptions (including the respective background and festivities) of the transfer of Honoratus to the Abbey Church of St. Gall in 1643 (pp. 367b453), of Antoninus and Theodorus to the Abbey Church of St. Gall in 1654 and to Neu St. Johann Abbey in 1685 and of Antonius to the Abbey Church of St. Gall in 1654 (pp. 458507), of Leander to the Capuchin Convent Maria der Engel near Wattwil in 1652 (pp. 508513), of Marinus to Lichtensteig in 1657 (pp. 518530), of Theodora to the Cistercian Convent Magdenau in 1662 (pp. 533539), of Pancratius to Wil in 1672 (pp. 541571), of Constantius to Rorschach in 1672 (pp. 573644), of Laureatus to Wildhaus in 1676 (pp. 647682), and of Sergius, Bacchus, Hyacinthus and Erasmus to the Abbey Church of St. Gall in 1680 (pp. 687747). (smu)

Online Since: 09/26/2017

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1721
Paper · 352 ff. · 33.5 × 20 cm · St. Gall Abbey (F. Kolumban Brändle; Brother Gall Beerle) · after 1769 (binding: 1785)
Sacrarium Sancti Galli, Vol. IV: Description of the festivities on the occasion of the transfers of catacomb saints to churches and monasteries of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall in the 17th and 18th century

In this volume, written primarily in German, the St. Gall custos Fr. Kolumban Brändle (1720−1780) as author and compiler and Brother Gall Beerle (1734−1816) as scribe tell of the festivities that occurred on the occasion of the transfer of catacomb saints to the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall in the 18th century. The general introduction (fol. Vr – fol. VIIIr) is followed by sometimes extensive documentation about the transfers of Benedict to the Capuchin Convent of St. Scholastica in Rorschach in 1732 (fol. IXv2v), of Justin to Gossau in 1743 (fol. 63v68v), of Julian to the Capuchin Convent Notkersegg in 1748 (fol. 69v77v), of Valentine to Goldach in 1761 (fol. 78v129v), of Celestine to Waldkirch in 1763 (fol. 130v167r), of Clementia to the Benedictine Convent of St. Wiborada in St. Georgen in 1769 (fol. 168v226v), of Theodorus to Neu St. Johann in 1685 (fol. 228v237r), of Placidus, Felicissimus, Victor, Prosper and Redempta to Neu St. Johann in 1689 (fol. 238v246r), about the centenary of the transfer of Theodorus to Neu St. Johann in 1755 (fol. 247r265r) and the centenary of the transfer of Marinus to Lichtensteig in 1757 (fol. 266v291r), as well as about the transfer of Theodorus to Berneck in 1766 (fol. 292v352v). These descriptions are accompanied by watercolor paintings of the catacomb saints dressed in festive garb. In addition the volume contains records, documents and reports about the authorization obtained from Rome to venerate Eusebius of Viktorsberg as a saint in the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall (fol. 3v54v) as well as about the order of the Pancratius-procession in Wil in 1738 (fol. 55r62v). The volume also contains a little-know ink sketch of Iberg Castle near Wattwil (fol. 238v). (smu)

Online Since: 09/26/2017

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1722
Parchment · 244 (246) + 111 (113) + 67 (72) ff. · 13.5-36.5 x 9.5-46.5 cm · St. Gall Abbey, P. Ambrosius Epp · 1785
Sacrarium Sancti Galli, Vol. V: De sacra Suppellectili et alia (“Über die heiligen Geräte“)

This collection of papers was compiled in 1785 by the custos of St. Gall Abbey, P. Ambrosius Epp (1572–1817). In several parts, it contains drawings, descriptions and inventories of part of the treasury of St. Gall Abbey (the so-called sacred liturgical objects), as well as documents related to them. Part 1 (pp. 1157) includes pen and ink drawings of chalices, cruets, platters, coats of arms, candlesticks etc., also drawings of 4 altars. Part 2 (fol. 1240, with an index on p. 161-166 of part 1) contains inventories of church treasure from the 17th and 18th century. Several inventories are undated, others are dated (to 1665, 1691, 1712, 1720, 1723, 1739 and 1781). Part 3 (fol. 1104, with an index on fol. 242244 of part 2) is a collection of documents regarding the earlier-mentioned objects — invoices, letters, diary entries, etc., mostly in chronological order. Part 4 (pp. 167 and fol. 6895, with an index on fol. 107110 of part 3) are handwritten and printed privileges and indulgences. (sno)

Online Since: 03/22/2018

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1757
Parchment · 308 pp. · 55 x 35/36 cm · 1473 / 16th/17th century
Graduale de sanctis, Ordinarium missae

This large-format manuscript, which forms a unit with Cod. Sang. 1758, itself consists of two parts. The first part (p. 1-214) from 1473 (dating in the initial on p. 1) was completed in the 16th/17th century. Both parts, however, are not complete; furthermore, multiple pieces have been deleted and replaced with other pieces. The volume contains chants for the Mass – Proprium de sanctis, Commune sanctorum, Ordinarium missae (partially troped), Sequences and Tractus– in German plainsong notation ("Hufnagelnotation") in a five line-system. Together with Cod. Sang. 1758, this codex presents the oldest systematic St. Gall records of sequences on a musical staff. Several pages have book decorations in the form of borders and initials, sometimes with figurative representations. Until 1930, the manuscript was kept in the choir library (first of the St. Gall monastery, later of the St. Gall cathedral). (sno)

Online Since: 10/07/2013

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1758
Parchment · 478 pp. · 50/50.5 x 33/34 cm · second half of the 15th century (around 1473?) / 16th century / additions 18th century
Graduale de tempore, Ordinarium missae, Sequentiar

This large-format manuscript, which forms a unit with Cod. Sang. 1757, contains chants for the Mass – Proprium de tempore, Ordinarium missae (partially troped), Sequences and votive Masses - in German plainsong notation ("Hufnagelnotation") in a four line-system. Multiple pieces have been deleted and replaced with other pieces. Together with Cod. Sang. 1757, this codex presents the oldest systematic St. Gall records of sequences on a musical staff. Several pages have book decorations in the form of initials (several exquisite filled initials, some with gold leaf) and borders. Heavy decorative fittings with animal heads and mythical creatures. Until 1930, the manuscript was kept in the choir library (first of the St. Gall monastery, later of the St. Gall cathedral). (sno)

Online Since: 10/07/2013

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1759
Paper · 628 pp. · 51 x 36 cm · St. Gall Abbey (F. Martin ab Yberg; F. Notker Grögle) · around 1770
Antiphonarium officii for the St. Gall Abbey Church, winter portion

Winter portion of a large-format antiphonary in two volumes (summer portion in Cod. Sang. 1760) for the Liturgy of the Hours of the monks of St. Gall, written around 1770 by the St. Gall monk Martin ab Yberg (1741−1777) and richly illustrated with small watercolor paintings surrounded by flowery rococo frames by Father Notker Grögle (1740−1816). This volume, decorated with especially splendid baroque brass fittings, contains the chants of the monks of St. Gall for the feasts of Jesus Christ and of the saints between the first Sunday of Advent and the Feast of the Ascension. It is divided into the parts Proprium de tempore (pp. 1357), Proprium sanctorum (pp. 358500) and Commune sanctorum (pp. 501559). These are followed by suffrages and by antiphons and responsories for workdays (pp. 560616). Chants for the feast days of the Archangel Gabriel and of St. Scholastica are added (pp. 617626). The melodies are written in Gothic German plainsong notation (“Hufnagelnotation”) on five lines. This volume came to the Abbey Library from the choir library of St. Gallen Cathedral in 1930. (smu)

Online Since: 09/26/2017

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1760
Paper · IV + 462 pp. · 50 × 35,5 cm · St. Gall Abbey (F. Martin ab Yberg; F. Notker Grögle) · 1770
Antiphonarium officii for the St. Gall Abbey Church, summer portion

Summer portion of a large-format antiphonary in two volumes (winter portion in Cod. Sang. 1759) for the Liturgy of the Hours of the monks of St. Gall, written in the year 1770 (chronogram in silver on the frontispiece) by the St. Gall monk Martin ab Yberg (1741−1777) and richly illustrated with small watercolor paintings surrounded by flowery rococo frames by Father Notker Grögle (1740−1816). This volume, decorated with splendid baroque brass fittings, contains the chants of the monks of St. Gall for the Liturgy of the Hours on feasts of Jesus Christ and of the saints between Pentecost and the last Sunday after Pentecost. It contains the parts Proprium de tempore (pp. 1113), Proprium sanctorum (pp. 114353) and Commune sanctorum (pp. 354400). These are followed by suffrages and by antiphons and responsories for workdays (pp. 401431). Chants for the feast days of St. Joachim and of the Archangel Raphael are added (pp. 432440). The melodies are written in Gothic German plainsong notation (“Hufnagelnotation”) on five lines. This volume came to the Abbey Library from the choir library of St. Gallen Cathedral in 1930. (smu)

Online Since: 09/26/2017

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1762
Paper · IV + 300 pp. · 48.5 x 35 cm · St. Gall Abbey: Dominikus Feustlin · 1757
Antiphonary, winter part

Winter part of an antiphonary that was originally set up in two volumes and later, when it was bound, was divided into four volumes. The antiphonary, whose other volumes are preserved in Cod. Sang. 1763, 1764 and 1795, was written and probably also decorated by Fr. Dominikus Feustlin (1713–1782). His style is characterized by vividly colored frames made up of thousands of small rods surrounding initials and title cartouches. Title page with the coat-of-arms of St. Gall, St. John, the Toggenburg and Abbot Cölestin Gugger von Staudach (1740–1767) on p. III. More decorated title cartouches on p. 1, 45, 48, 53, 101, 104, 162, 178, 202 and 214. The winter part includes the Proprium de tempore for the first of Advent until Ash Wednesday (pp. 1161), the Proprium de Sanctis for November until February (pp. 162213), the Commune Sanctorum (pp. 214251), votive Masses (pp. 252272) and Antiphonae feriales (pp. 272297). (sno)

Online Since: 03/22/2018

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1767
Parchment · IV + 556 pp. · 55.5–56 x 39.5–40 cm · around 1500/1520
Graduale de tempore

Graduale de tempore, commissioned by Prince-Abbot Franz Gaisberg (1504–1529, coat of arms p. 1) and illuminated by the book illustrator Nikolaus Bertschi from Augsburg (initials, miniatures and borders with vine scrolls and animals). The banderole on p. 55, which ends with etc. 156, may give a (false) indication regarding the dating (1506 or 1516?). The chants for the Mass are written in German plainsong notation (“Hufnagelnotation”) on a five line staff. This codex is the largest of the St. Gall Abbey library’s manuscripts. Originally it was even larger; for re-binding, the pages were severely trimmed, as can be discerned from the folded lower margin on p. 1 or from the trimmed border on p. 444. Binding with heavy fittings on a red velvet background. (sno)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1859
Paper · 614 pp. · 14 x 10.5 cm · Strasbourg (Dominican cloister St. Agnes or St. Margaretha; later in the Dominican cloister St. Katharinen in Wil SG) · end of the 15th century
Composite manuscript with German-language spiritual and ascetic texts from the Strasbourg Dominican cloister (St. Agnes oder St. Margaretha)

Beginning with a Dominican calendar from Strasbourg, this volume contains, among others, several texts by the Italian theologian and philosopher Bonaventura (1221-1274), the Regula monachorum ad Eustochium by the church father Jerome, excerpts from the ascetic-mystical treatise Stimulus amoris, the instructions for a monastic life by the Franciscan Heinrich Vigilis of Weissenburg, and David of Augsburg’s work De compositione exterioris et interioris hominis, all in German. The volume, declared the Franciscan "Encheiridion asceticum" by Kurt Ruh, probably came to the Dominican cloister Wil in 1590 along with other Strasbourg manuscripts (Codd. Sang. 1904, 1915 and perhaps 1866). (smu)

Online Since: 10/07/2013

Documents: 628, displayed: 601 - 620