This is the sixth part of a six-volume copy of Gregory’s Moralia in Iob (Min. 50-55), containing Books 28-35; it is listed in the Allerheiligen Abbey register of books from about 1100 (Min. 17, f. 306v). It is written in a single column, is clean and is written by several hands, with an incipit page (f. 2v), a full-page initial with scroll ornamentation (f. 3r), and more initials with scroll ornamentation at the beginning of each book. At the end (f. 183v–185v) there are copies of four documents from the years 1090-1122. In the 15th century this codex, like many others, received a new leather binding with metal bosses, two clasps and a title label (f. 1r). As with Min. 20, Min. 24, Min. 40 and Min. 53, fragments from a 14th century necrology of All Saints Abbey were used as flyleaves (f. 1r-v and 186r-v).
Online Since: 03/22/2017
Second volume of the libri II omeliarum et sermonum per totum annum, with Sermones de tempore (f. 1v), Sermones de sanctis (f. 136v) and Sermones de communi sanctorum (f. 237v) for the period from Pentecost until the end of the liturgical year; it is listed in the supplements to the Allerheiligen Abbey register of books from about 1100 (Min. 17, f. 306v). This manuscript is written in two columns and, except for the last, incomplete page, by one and the same hand; with numerous initials with scroll ornamentation in red ink stretching across up to 20 lines and with emphasized fonts, it is among the most beautiful manuscripts created at All Saints Abbey. In the 15th century, this codex, like many others, received a new leather binding with metal bosses and two clasps; f. 1 (detached since then) served as pastedown, the back pastedown (after f. 287) is missing.
Online Since: 09/26/2017
This manuscript consists of four parts from different eras. The first part (ff. 1r-59v, 2nd half of the 13th century) contains Bonaventure’s Breviloquium; the second part (ff. 60r-153v, 13th-14th century) contains excerpts from the Talmud; the third part (ff. 154r-239v, 14th century) contains sermons by the Franciscan Gualterus de Brugis as well as the text Pharetra by Pseudo-Bonaventure; finally, the fourth part (240r-268v, first half of the 14th century) contains the collection of sermons Rusticani by the Franciscan Berthold of Regensburg. The Extractiones de Talmud are especially interesting since they represent the largest surviving corpus of Latin translations of the Talmud and since they were produced in Paris in 1244/1245, at the time of the revision of the condemnation of the Talmud, which had been proclaimed in 1240/1241. The version in this codex has the translations organized not following the order of the treatises, but instead thematically, according to the various arguments. The binding from the last century, for which parts of an old binding were reused and which shows traces of a chain, indicates that the manuscript originated in the Franciscan monastery of Schaffhausen.
Online Since: 03/29/2019
Incomplete manuscript, written by several hands in Carolingian minuscule. It contains, among others, Books 2 and 3 of the Prognosticum futuri seculi (1r-25v) by Julian of Toledo (642-690), the Collectio Capitularium – documents of civil and ecclesiastical law - by Ansegisus of Fontenelle (32r-86v), the Capitularia Hludovici (86v-91r) and above all the Life of Louis the Pious by Theganus (91r-97v). Two contemporaneous interlinear glosses on p. 96v, corresponding to the account of the baptism of Harald of Denmark (Heriold, Harald Klak Halfdansson) and the bestowal of Frisia as fief to him in the year 826, suggest the manuscript’s northern origin.
Online Since: 06/23/2016
Cassiodor's commentary on the Psalms is the oldest manuscript in the Ministerial Library. The script suggests St. Gall as the location of origin, the name of the scribe, "Wolfgisus presbyter", suggests Constance. Includes a memorandum of loan or presentation to Abbot Wilhelm von Hirsau, who reformed the Allerheiligen (All Saints) monastery at Schaffhausen in 1080.
Online Since: 07/31/2009
Most parts of this missal, some of with neumes, were produced in about 1100. After 1200 they were bound together with a more recent addition. The characteristic initials with twining branches, the inclusion of the feast days of local saints in the calendar, the additional section, and other addenda indicate that the missal was produced in the monastery of Allerheiligen (All Saints) in Schaffhausen and remained in use there over the course of many centuries. It is one of the few liturgical manuscripts from this monastery that survived the Reformation.
Online Since: 12/19/2011
The first part of a breviary intended for use by a Franciscan, perhaps a Poor Clare, was referred to as Horae canonicae in earlier literature. It was written in 1459 on high quality parchment by the well known scribe Johannes Frauenlob. The coats of arms of Constance families Schatz and Guldinast allow us to make inferences about who commissioned it. Rich book decoration includes gold-grounded initials, filigree, and margin borders. About 30 figured and illustrated initials by two stylistically distinct hands, of which the first is distinguished by particular virtuosity: «Der mit zahllosen Farbpunkten vorgenommene Farbauftrag, die heitere Rankenmalerei […] und auch das geschärfte Verständnis für Fernwirkung bei Landschaftsdarstellungen sind beinahe einzigartig für diese Zeit in der Bodenseemalerei.» (Bernd Konrad).
Online Since: 12/19/2011
The second part of a breviary intended for use by a Franciscan, perhaps a Poor Clare, was referred to as Horae canonicae in earlier literature. It was written in 1459 on high quality parchment by the well known scribe Johannes Frauenlob. Rich book decoration includes gold-grounded initials, filigree, and margin borders. 12 figured and illustrated initials by two stylistically distinct hands, of which the first is distinguished by particular virtuosity. Together with the preceding volume Min. 98, this manuscript is considered «zu den schönsten Büchern des 15. Jahrhunderts am Bodensee». (Bernd Konrad)
Online Since: 12/19/2011
This copy of seven hagiographic texts, to which a Vita Longini (f. 143v) was added a short while later, is listed in the Allerheiligen Abbey register of books from about 1100 (Min. 17, f. 306v); it is written in a single column and is undecorated except for a few initials with scroll ornamentation. The yellowish discoloration of f. 1r and f. 145v suggests that the manuscript remained unbound until the second half of the 15th century, when like many others, it received a leather binding with metal bosses and a clasp. As with Min. 19, Min. 20, Min. 24, Min. 40, Min. 53 and Min. 55, fragments from a 14th century necrology of All Saints Abbey were used as pastedowns (f. I, f. 146).
Online Since: 06/22/2017
This copy of excerpts from books 3 to 6 of the Vitas Patrum (Palladius Helenopolitanus, Evagrius Ponticus, among others) is listed in the Allerheiligen Abbey register of books from about 1100 (Min. 17, f. 306v); it is written in a single column and is executed by several rather unpracticed hands on rough parchment with holes and patched areas. Except for two initials with scroll ornamentation in red with pale blue and green inner grounds (f. 3r), the manuscript is undecorated. The discoloration on f. 1r and f. 148v suggests that the manuscript remained unbound until the second half of the 15th century, when it received a yellowish leather binding with decorative lines. Documents from 1414 and 1413 were used as front and back pastedowns, respectively; the watermark of the flyleaves (f. I, 149) can be dated to 1455.
Online Since: 06/22/2017
This manuscript occupies an important, though not perfectly clear, position within the complex tradition of the Chronicon of Regino of Prüm. It was most likely produced in or about 960 in Trier, at St. Maximin or the cathedral scriptorium, as the work of a collective of about twenty (student) hands, among which the expert correcting hand of St. Wolfgang can also be distinguished. The manuscript may have been brought to the monastery of Allerheiligen in Schaffhausen in 1122, by Archbishop Bruno of Trier, a son of cloister founder Eberhard von Nellenburg.
Online Since: 07/04/2012
According to an ownership seal this parchment manuscript was completed before 1318. Scribe and place of origin are unknown. It contains commentaries in Latin by the Dominican Albertus Magnus (ca. 1200-1280) on the six foundation texts of medieval instruction in logic. Their wording was altered during the 14th century using a text handed down by a separate tradition, familiar today mainly through Italian Renaissance manuscripts. The resulting hybrid text, with good, though often singular, textual variations, is of particular importance for the edition of these commentaries. The manuscript has been held by the Schaffhausen Bibliotheca Publica in the Church of St. Johann since 1589.
Online Since: 06/22/2010