Luria, Yitsḥaḳ ben Shelomoh (1534-1572)
Apart from the daily prayers, this manuscript also contains kabbalistic commentaries and kavvanot (mystical intentions). In the kabbalistic school of Safed (Upper Galilee), the mystical aspect of prayer, as “the vehicle of the soul's mystical ascent to God,” is of great importance. The authorship of this prayer books is generally attributed to Isaac ben Solomon Luria (1534–1572). The manuscript begins with an unfinished title page that contains a decorative floral border in red, yellow and green, but without any text. In the ornamental colorful border there is the inscription “Samuel ha-Kohen, cantor in Broda,” who is either the copyist or perhaps the person for whom the book was written. The manuscript was a part of the collection of Naphtali Herz van Biema (1836-1901), an Amsterdam collector, whose books were auctioned in 1904. Many of these books had previously belonged to his wife's family of prominent orthodox philanthropists and bibliophiles known as the Amsterdam Lehren family.
Online Since: 10/13/2016
- Luria, Yitsḥaḳ ben Shelomoh (Author)
This manuscript is divided into two separate textual units, which were both written by two different scribes in Italy during the 16th and 17th centuries. Ms. Heid. 192A is a small booklet, copied by one hand in 1642 and 1687, which consists of a collection of customs and anecdotes on Rabbi Isaac B. Solomon Luria Ashkenazi (Arizal, 1534-1572) and his entourage, as well as a mystical protective prayer to be recited in the morning and evening, followed by portions of biblical readings for the days of the week, and ending with a selection of penitential prayers (Seliḥot). Ms. Heid. 192B is a miscellaneous collection of biblical midrashim, prognostication literature, tales, Alphabeta de Ben Sira, Talmudic Aggadot.
Online Since: 12/10/2020
- Luria, Yitsḥaḳ ben Shelomoh: Customs of Isaac b. Solomon Luria Ashkenazi (1534-1572) and Miscellaneous collection of biblical midrashim, prognostication literature, tales, Alphabeta de Ben Sira, and Talmudic aggadot. Found in: Standard description
- Luria, Yitsḥaḳ ben Shelomoh: Customs of Isaac b. Solomon Luria Ashkenazi (1534-1572) ((folios 1-32)) Found in: Standard description
- Luria, Yitsḥaḳ ben Shelomoh (Author) Found in: Standard description
- Hai Ben Sherira, Gaʾon (Author) | Heidenheim, Moritz (Former possessor) | Luria, Yitsḥaḳ ben Shelomoh (Author) | Shelomoh ben Yitsḥaḳ (Commentator) | Shimshon ben Tsadoḳ (Author) Found in: Standard description