Description by Davit Ghazaryan, translated into English by Aida Charkhchyan, the verse by Mery Hovsepyan, 2013.
- Script: cursive with neumas (khazes).
- Colophon about the time of writing
- by the scribe:
390r Glory to the Trinity
And only the best Nature
And the best Trinity
As the Lord is the reason of birth of essence
And his son the birth of essence
The soul is the birth of spring
Unachievable for the mind
Unsatisfied for the humans tribe
Without speaking and discussing
Created in my sorrow
Recognized from it
AS the humans were appeared
Were recognized from the children
With their mind and speech and soul
And here is the human being
The Lord is instant as his mind
The hugged son | 390v | is like his speech
The soul the flown of worthy
The king and master of human being
As the Lord is the endless sea
And the son the abundant river
The soul is the spring of life
And cooling for the people
The Lord alike the roots of tree
And his son the branches of it
The peerless fruit is the soul
Which together are eternal
As my speech is hesitant
And my mind is needy
To dare impudently
To remember the blameless name
He is the grantor and the dispenser
He gives freedom plentifully
They will stay in the
For ignoring the Trinity
But I being unremembered
And wise less in the wisdom
Lazy and idle in the soul
And lively as a human being
I Beg you the lord of charity
And you the only Trinity
Give me the master of wisdom
To orate with | 391r | explosion
This metric frugal verse
This marvelous blooming place
This sweet song-book
This heaven full of fruit
Peerless and delicious
The lily of flowering meadow
With its different colors
Like a flowery garden
Smells nicely on the peoples noses.
Being composed by the Saints
Created with delicious taste
Being orated by translators
Have been called psalms.
And the twelve stones
On the Aharons cloak
With shiny colors
Are the names of twelve sons.
And the twelve springs
Which came from Akhim
Which were called sweet waters
And the twelve tribes drunk them
| 391v | And also Hyson Naves Son
Who took the people away from the country
Drained the Jordanian
And choose the twelve stones.
It was the symbol of Jesus
And the twelve apostles
That always wondered everywhere
And served as support of belief.
The Zoo morplics are the twelve
Who were approved as the masters of the sky
They rule the human beings
And irrational elements.
But also the speechless name
Of the holiest Trinity
Father, Son and holly spirit
Formed the twelve letters.
And also with such advices
With these twelve psalms
Being composed fully by us
We will be gloried by them.
As the brought up children
Will sing these songs sweetly
| 392r | Will rejoice with their souls
And happy through their bodies.
And I praise you, oh, you, the psalm,
Being composed with various stones
Composed in the churches
Like Aharons cloak.
And those who orates with soft-spoken words
With modest soul and holly mind
Will be the temple and the house
For the holiest Trinity.
But those who doesn’t say for being lazy
Or just to say it for the pleasure
They will never be remissioned
From now, forever and ever.
You are the remedies of my pains
And the healer of peoples wounds
The curber of Sadael regiments
The supporter of needy.
As the proper ten voices
The children who are fond of learning
Always burn him with the hope
Praising God forever.
| 392v | In this marvelous register
With various stones which are present
The man and the religious priest
Has chosen many of tem
Shining with angels behavior
Moving ahead with it
With modest and wise soul
The adviser of the human beings.
Desirable as a deer
Immortal as a spring
Made to create the stones
And decorate them wonderfully.
I am the reason of disasters
Unable in kindness
The announcer and the land
I did his commands.
Being suffered in my body
Lively and willing
With effort and sufferings
I did it | 393r | fully.
It was done fully
With the help of Holy Trinity.
And you remember the Lord’s words
When he’ll come for the Doomsday
Listen he blissful voice
And let’s bless my worthy God.
Let’s bless the remorseful Father
The only Holy Trinity
Give him ceaseless glory
Which is blessed forever.
[Translated by Mery Hovsepyan]
393r And now, the book of spiritual food, named Hymnal, was rewritten from a good and choice | 393v | example named Xlik by the hand of sinful and ungifted and humble scribe Awetis. Fhanks to God’s favor I started writing and by God’s mercy I did it on 1096 of the Armenian era at the village named Awendants under the shelter of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul and Saint George the general, during the unsettled period of high taxation by the Muslims, and during the rising to the occasion of the force and the oppress all over the world, and what's more to armenian nation for its huge guilty.
Now, if anyone comes to see this in order to read or to copy, remember in your prayers the unworthy scribe Awetis and my parents the priest Vardan and Mahmur, and my grandfather the priest Tuma, and my master Reverend Kirakos, and my sons Tuma and Vardo, and my daughters | 394r | Tankek and Trkhun, and their mother Ariha, who has died this year, who worked hard with unworthy scribe. God, lights their souls in the Holy Kingdom. Amen.
- by the artist: 188v (bottom margin): O brother, open and look and pray for mercy for stupid Gharietsi, on 1647.
- by the scribe:
- Colophon written later:
- Illumination - The Raising of Lazarus 108r, The Washing of Feet 119r, The Kiss of Judas 122r, The Crucifixion 124v, The Entombment 133r, The Resurrection 136v, The Ascension 174v, The Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost) 188v, The Transfiguration 225v, The Dormition of the Mother of God 233v, Two Apostles, one holding the Cross aloft, symbolizing the Feast of the Holy Cross 244v.
- In the margin: Annunciation/ Archangel Gabriel (6v) and the Holy Virgin (7r), The Holy spirit 23r, 198v, the Holy Virgin 25v, Saint Anthony the Hermit 31v, Emperor Theodore 33v, David with the head of Goliath 35v, Saint Stephan Protomartyr 37r, Saints Peter and Paul 39v, Saint John the Evangelist 41v, Saint Jonah in the mouth of the whale 48r, Saints Sargis and Martiros 50r, Christ with the lamb 63v, The Forty Martyrs 81v, Saint Gregory the Illuminator imprisoned 92r, The Wise Virgins 114v, Atributs of the Maundy Thursday 118r, the Beheading of St John the Baptist՝ 143v, Saint John the Baptist 207r, Saint Gregory the Illuminator 208v, Saint Nerses the Great 213r, Saint Hripsime 216r, Moses scepter 254r, 255v, a Prophet 262v, Saint Mesrop Mashtots 266r, the Catholicos Saint Hacob Mtsbena 268v, Seraphim 272r, a Patriarch 274v.
- Vignettes: 1r, 137r, 189r, 245r.
- Headpieces: 51v, 107v, 310v, 334v, 366r, 397r.
- Marginal ornaments: vegetal (4v, 8v, 10v, 12v, 14v, 17r, 19r, 21r, 28v, 29v, 42v, 52v, 56v, 59r, 65r, 68v, 72r, 73r, 75r, 79v, 84r, 86v, 99r, 107v, 132v, 139r, 151r, 157r, 162r, 170r, 174r, 193v, 197r, 198v, 202r, 225r, 227ar, 229r, 233r, 236r-v, 241r, 264v, 268v, 294v, 299v, 303r, 310v, 313v, 316r, 318v, 327r, 330v, 334v, 336r, 338r, 339r, 343v, 346v, 349r, 358v, 366r, 368v, 371v, 374v, 377v, 380v, 383v, 387r, 390r, 397r), birds (27r-v, 28r-v, 29r, 46r, 106r, 135r, 146v, 167r, 191v, 193v, 195r, 197r, 200r, 211v, 241r, 270v, 294r, 304v, 321v, 355r), temple (26v, 144v, 152r, 223r, 231r, 250v), siren (45r, 181v, 324v), animal (101v, 289r), tree (110r, 112v, 179r), cross (121v, 125v, 130v, 245av, 247v, 249r, 252v, 258v, 260v), goat (284r).
- Ornamented letters: vegetal (10v, 17r, 19r, 50r, 51v, 65r, 86v, 99r, 101v, 106r, 116v, 121v, 125v, 135r, 143v, 167r, 195r, 197r, 202r, 216r, 229r, 236v, 241r, 252v, 254r, 294r, 299v, 303r, 316r, 324v, 327r, 336r, 339r, 343v, 358v, 368v, 371v, 377v, 380v, 387r, 398r-v, 399r, 400r, 401r-v, 402r, 403v, 404v, 405r-v, 406r-v, 407r, 408v, 409v, 410r-v, 411r), ornithomorphic (7r, 8v, 12v, 14v, 21r, 23r, 25v, 27v, 28r, 29r, 33v, 35v, 37r, 42v, 45r, 46r, 59r, 63v, 68v, 72r, 79v, 81v, 92r, 107v, 112v, 114v, 118r, 130v, 132v, 144v, 152r, 162r, 179r, 191v, 193v, 198v, 200r, 207r, 223r, 227ar, 233r, 236r, 247v, 250v, 258v, 260v, 262v, 270v, 272r, 294v, 304v, 310v, 318v, 330v, 334v, 346v, 355r, 366r, 383v, 397r, 399v, 405v, 406r-v), nodal (4v, 26v, 27r, 31v, 48r, 52v, 56v, 73r, 75r, 84r, 110r, 116v, 139r, 146v, 151r, 157r, 170r, 174r, 181v, 208v, 211v, 213r, 225r, 231r, 245av, 249r, 255v, 264v, 266r, 284r, 289r, 313v, 321v, 338r, 349r, 374v, 390r, 397r, 397v, 398r, 400v, 402r, 404r, 405r, 407v, 409r-v, 410r-v, 411r), zoomorphic (51v), geometric (341r, 400v, 402v, 403r-v, 411v).
- Colors: red, blue, green, yellow, orange, rosy, violet, white, brown, gray, black, gold.
Annotation – Protective sheet Cr (cursive) 413 Blaft + 4 Latin. S. Zaerl (?). Lining B. (cursive) 1277-1096=181.
- 1. 1r-4r [Canon of Joachim and Anna : Parents of the Holy Virgin]
- 2. 4r-7r Canon of Anna and Joachim: Parents of the Holy Virgin
- 3. 7r-v Canon of the Annunciation to the Holy Virgin
- 4. 8r-v [Canon of the Theophany Eve]
- 5. 8v-10v Canon of the First Day of the Theophany
- 6. 10v-12v Canon of the Second Day
- 7. 12v-14v Canon of the Third Day
- 8. 14v-16v Canon of the Fourth Day
- 9. 17r-19r Canon of the Fifth Day
- 10. 19r-21r Canon of the Sixth Day
- 11. 21r-22v Canon of the Seventh Day
- 12. 23r-25r Canon of the Eighth Day
- 13. 25v-29v Glorify the Lord’s Resurrection
- 14. 30r-31v [Canon of the Presentation to the Temple]
- 15. 31v-33v Canon of Saint Anthony the Hermit
- 16. 33v-35r Canon of the Saint King Theodosius
- 17. 35v-37r Canon of David and Jacob
- 18. 37r-39v Canon of Saint Stephan Protomartyr
- 19. 39v-41v Canon of Sts Peter and Paul
- 20. 41v-42v Canon of John and Jacob
- 21. 42v-45r Canon of all Christ Apostles
- 22. 46r-48r Canon of the Seventy Two Disciples
- 23. 48r-50r Canon of the Prophet John
- 24. 50r-51r Hymn of Sarkis the General
- 25. 51v-52r Song of the Stove First Sunday Salt and Bread, by Patriarch Nerses
- 26. 52r-56v [Hymn of the Lent]
Canon of the Second Sunday of Bread and Salt
Annot. of the scribe 63r Saturday is the day of Saint Cyril, Patriarch of Jerusalem.
- 28. 63r-73r Canon of the Third Sunday of Bread and Salt
- 29. 73r-81v Canon of the Fourth Sunday of Bread and Salt
- 30. 81v-84r Canon of the Forty Saint Martyrs
- 31. 84r-91v Canon of the Fifth Sunday of Bread and Salt
- 32. 92r-99r Canon of the Saint Gregory the Illuminator
- 33. 99r-107r Canon of the Sixth Sunday of Bread and Salt
- 34. 107v-110r Canon of the Resurrection of Lazarus
- 35. 110r-111v Canon of the Entry of Christ into Jerusalem
- 36. 112r-v [Canon of the Second Sunday of Palms]
- 37. 112v-114v Canon of the Whit Monday
- 38. 114v-116v Canon of the Shrove Tuesday
- 39. 116v-118r Canon of the Ash Wednesday
- 40. 118r-121v Canon of the Maundy Thursday
- 41. 121v-125v Canon of the Good Friday
- 42. 132v-136r Canon of the Lord Burial on Holy Saturday
- 43. 137r-139r Canon of the Holy Easter
Canon of the New Sunday of the Easter
Annot. of the scribe 148v This Wednesday is the Annunciation to the Holy Virgin.
This Sunday is the day of all martyriums
Annot. of the scribe 164r This Sanday is the day of the appearance of the Holy Cross.
- 46. 174r-179r This Thursday is the Ascension
- 47. 179r-187v Canon of the Second Sunday of Palms
- 48. 189r-191v Canon of the First Day of the Pentecost
- 49. 191v-193v Canon of the Second Day
- 50. 193v-195r Canon of the Third Day
- 51. 195r-197r Canon of the Fourth Day
- 52. 197r-198v Canon of the Fifth Day
- 53. 198v-199v Canon of the Sixth Day
- 54. 200r-201v Canon of the Seventh Day
- 55. 202r-207r Canon of the Birth of Saint John the Baptist
- 56. 207r-208v Canon of Saint John the Baptist
- 57. 208v-211v Canon of Saint Gregory the Illuminator
- 58. 211v-213v Canon of the Sons and Grandsons of Saint Gregory the Illuminator
- 59. 213r-215v Canon of Armenian Catholicos Nerses
- 60. 216r-222v Canon of Saint Hripsime and her Companions
- 61. 223r-225r Canon of the Holy Tabernacle (Tapanak)
- 62. 225r-227ar Canon of the Transfiguration First Day
- 63. 227ar-229r Canon of the Second Day
- 64. 229r-231r Canon of the Third Day
- 65. 231r-233r Canon of Shoghakat
- 66. 233r-236r Canon of the Holy Virgin’s Dormition First Day
Canon of the Second Day
Annot. of the scribe 236v “Saint Souls devoted to the Holy Mother of God by Archimandrite Kirakos Yerzynkatsi”.
- 68. 241r-243v Canon of the Third Day
- 69. 245r-245av Canon of the Eve of the Holy Cross Elevation
- 70. 245av-247v Canon of the Second Day of the Holy Cross
- 71. 247v-249r Canon of the Third Day
Canon of the Fourth Day
Annot. of the scribe 250v Dead Fathers on Shoghakat, Say it when it must be said.
Canon of the Fifth Day
Annot. of the scribe 251r It is written on Shoghakat, Know and say.
Canon of the Sixth Day
Annot. of the scribe 253v Dead Fathers on Tapanak (Tabernacle), Say it when it must be said
- 75. 254r-255v Canon of the Seventh Day
- 76. 255v-258v Canon of the Eighth Day
- 77. 258v-260v Canon of the Saint Cross of Varag
- 78. 260v-262v Canon of the Cross of Gut
- 79. 262v-266r Canon of the Saint Prophets
- 80. 266r-268r Canon of the Archimandrite Mesrop
- 81. 268v-270v Canon of the Catholicos Saint Hacob Mtsbena
- 82. 270v-272r Canon of the Bethlehem Children
- 83. 272r-274v Canon of the Saint Archangels Gabriel and Michael, and all the Celestial Forces of Christ
Canon of the Saint Patriarchs
- 2. (278r) Hymn of Saint Ignatius the Patriarch
- 3. (278r-v) Hymn of John Chrysostom
- 4. (278v-279r) Hymn of Saint Basil the Patriarch
- 5. (279r) Hymn of Saint Gregory the Theologian
- 6. (279r-v) Hymn of Saint Nicholas the Patriarch
- 7. (279v-280r) Hymn of Saint Cyril, Patriarch of Jerusalem
- 8. (280r-v) Hymn of Saint Ephraim the Hermit
- 9. (281r-v) Hymn of Saint Eustratius and his companions
- 10. (281v-282r) Hymn of the Two Myriads of Martyrs
- 11. (282r) Hymn of the Captain Saint Theodore
- 12. (282r-283r) Hymn of Saint Stepanos Ulnetsi
- 13. (283r) Hymn of Minas, Hermogenes and Grabos
- 14. (283r-v) Hymn for the blessing of the holy chrism
- 15. (283v-284r) Song of the chrism over the regenerate
- 16. (284r-v) Hymn of Saint Sukias and his companions
- 17. (284v-285r) Hymn of Vahan Goghtatsi
- 18. (285r-v) Hymn of David Dvinetsi
- 19. (285v-286v) Hymn of Kirakos and his Mother Julita
- 20. (286v) Hymn of Saint Oskan and his companions
- 21. (286v-287r) Hymn of Saint Atome and his companions
- 22. (287r-289r) Hymn of Saint Vartan and his companions
- 85. 289r-294r Canon of Saint Łevond and his companions
Song about the First Day of the Unique Week, and about the Mystery of Creation, and about the Resurrection of Christ
- 2. (294v-295v) Song about the Second Day of the Creation, and about the Celestial Forces of Christ
- 3. (295v-296r) Song about the Third Day of the Creation, and about the Third Period, and about Saint John the Baptist
- 4. (296r-297r) Song about the Fourth Day of the Creation, and about the Fourth Period, and about the Annunciation to the Holy Virgin
- 5. (297r-298r) Song about the Fifth Day of Creation, and about the Fifth Period, and the Saint Apostles of Christ
- 6. (298r-v) Song about the Sixth Day of the Creation, and about the Sixth Period, and about the Crucifixion of Christ
- 7. (298v-299v) Song about the Seventh Day of the Creation and about the Seventh Period, and about the Mystery of Passing away
Song of the Sunrise Hours from the psalm The Name of Lord
- 2. (300r-301r) Song from the psalm Sing aloud unto God
- 3. (301r-v) Song from the psalm O Lord Our Lord
- 4. (301v-303r) Song from the psalm The Lord is my Shepherd
- 5. (303r-v) Song of the Third Hour of the Day from Miserere
- 6. (303v-304r) Song of Sixth Hour of the Day
- 7. (304r-v) Song of the Ninth Hour
- 8. (304v-306v) Song of the Vesper Hour of Peace
- 9. (306v-307r) Hymn of the Vesting
- 10. (307r-308r) Hymn of Censing during the Liturgy
- 11. (308r-310r) Hymn of the Seven Grasseaters
- 12. (310r) Hymn of the beginning of the Sunday
- 88. 310v-334r Canon of all Martyrs
- 89. 334v-358v Canon of the Dead
- 90. 358v-363r [Song for the Dead by Patriarch Nerses]
- 91. 366r-389v Blessings of the Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ
- 92. 394v-396v Songs of the celebrations and the Saints
- 92. 397r-413r [Doxologies for the Religious Holidays and all the Saints]