|Country of Location:||
Country of LocationSwitzerland
|Library / Collection:||
Library / CollectionStiftsbibliothek
ShelfmarkCod. Sang. 1719
Manuscript TitleSacrarium Sancti Galli, Vol. II: Transfers of saints in the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall, 7th to 17th century
CaptionPaper · 765 pp. · 32 x 20.5 cm · St. Gall Abbey (F. Gregor Schnyder) · 1699
Manuscript SummaryThis volume, written almost exclusively in Latin, contains a compilation of texts taken from numerous older sources about transfers of saints in the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall. The St. Gall monk and custos Gregor Schnyder (1642−1708) compiled and wrote the text, mostly in chronological order, and presented it to Abbot Leodegar Bürgisser (abbot 1696−1717) on 19 April 1699, his name day. The illustrations in opaque colors were done by Father Gabriel Hecht (1664−1745). At the beginning there are descriptions of the various transfers of the relics of Saint Gall between about 640 and 1484 (fol. IXv – p. 20) and those of Saint Othmar between 759 and 1692 (pp. 24b−99). This is followed by reports about the transfers of the relics of Notker Balbulus as well as of his beatification in 1513 (pp. 104b−163) and about the dislocation of the relics of Othmar and Notker that was necessitated by the new construction of the church of Othmar (pp. 169−286). Next are reports of donations of relics of various saints from and of the Abbey of St. Gall (pp. 287−354), among them reports about the arrival of the relics of the saints Magnus (898), Constantius of Perugia (904), Remaclus of Stavelot (1035), Faith of Agen (1084), Charles Borromeo (1611), Sigisbert and Placidus from Disentis Abbey (1624) and Bishop Landolo of Treviso (1631), which were particularly revered in the Abbey of St. Gall. The back part of the manuscript contains compilations of documents and reports about the 17th century transfers of Roman catacomb saints to the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall: there are descriptions (including the respective background and festivities) of the transfer of Honoratus to the Abbey Church of St. Gall in 1643 (pp. 367b−453), of Antoninus and Theodorus to the Abbey Church of St. Gall in 1654 and to Neu St. Johann Abbey in 1685 and of Antonius to the Abbey Church of St. Gall in 1654 (pp. 458−507), of Leander to the Capuchin Convent Maria der Engel near Wattwil in 1652 (pp. 508−513), of Marinus to Lichtensteig in 1657 (pp. 518−530), of Theodora to the Cistercian Convent Magdenau in 1662 (pp. 533−539), of Pancratius to Wil in 1672 (pp. 541−571), of Constantius to Rorschach in 1672 (pp. 573−644), of Laureatus to Wildhaus in 1676 (pp. 647−682), and of Sergius, Bacchus, Hyacinthus and Erasmus to the Abbey Church of St. Gall in 1680 (pp. 687–747).
Standard descriptionScherrer Gustav, Verzeichniss der Handschriften der Stiftsbibliothek von St. Gallen, Halle 1875, S. 507-508.
Show standard description
|DOI (Digital Object Identifier):||
DOI (Digital Object Identifier10.5076/e-codices-csg-1719 (http://dx.doi.org/10.5076/e-codices-csg-1719)
|IIIF Manifest URL:||
IIIF Manifest URLhttps://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/metadata/iiif/csg-1719/manifest.json
|How to quote:||
How to quoteSt. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1719: Sacrarium Sancti Galli, Vol. II: Transfers of saints in the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall, 7th to 17th century (https://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/list/one/csg/1719).
Additional literatureAdditional literature – St. Galler Bibliotheksnetz (SGBN) - Verbundkatalog
DecorationFigurative, Full Page, Fully Painted, Penwork, Text Block
Annotation Tool - Log in
There aren't any annotations for this manuscript. Be the first to create one!