|Country of Location:||
Country of LocationSwitzerland
|Library / Collection:||
Library / CollectionStiftsbibliothek
ShelfmarkCod. Sang. 1720
Manuscript TitleSacrarium Sancti Galli, Vol. III: consecration of churches, chapels, altars and bells in the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall
CaptionPaper · 6 + 560 + 2 pp. · 30.5 x 19.5 cm · St. Gall Abbey (P. Gregor Schnyder, P. Chrysostomus Stipplin) · before 1672/around 1706 (with supplements until 1788)
Manuscript SummaryThis volume is written primarily in Latin; in the first part (pp. 1-480) it contains information about the consecration of churches, chapels, altars and bells at St. Gall Abbey and in the territory of the “Alte Landschaft” (a subject territory of St. Gall Abbey) (pp. 1-187), in the Thurgau (pp. 188-263), in the Rhine Valley (pp. 264-309), and in the Toggenburg (pp. 310-457); furthermore about the churches in the urban area of St. Gall, St. Lawrence, St. Mangen and St. Leonard (pp. 475-480). This part was written around 1706 by the St. Gall monk and custos Fr. Gregor Schnyder (1642–1708) and contains numerous additions from the period up to 1788. On an unnumbered leaf before p. 57, there is a pen and wash drawing of the monastery’s tower clock that was completed in 1661. The second part (p. 487-556) is written by the St. Gall monk Chrysostomus Stipplin (1609–1672). It contains a calendar of the feast days of saints for St. Gall Abbey, indicating for each one where the respective celebration is held (pp. 487-501), a list of chapels and altars with the dates of their consecration (pp. 501-502), two lists of altar patronages (pp. 503-506 and 507-509) arranged according to the calendar, an overview of all the altars together with the relics they contained (pp. 509-515), as well as a list of all relics in the monastery and its chapels (pp. 519-556). The first part concludes with a site index (from the time period of the last additions).
Standard descriptionScherrer Gustav, Verzeichnis der Handschriften der Stiftsbibliothek von St. Gallen, Halle 1875, S. 507-508.
Show standard description
|DOI (Digital Object Identifier):||
DOI (Digital Object Identifier10.5076/e-codices-csg-1720 (http://dx.doi.org/10.5076/e-codices-csg-1720)
|IIIF Manifest URL:||
IIIF Manifest URLhttps://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/metadata/iiif/csg-1720/manifest.json
|How to quote:||
How to quoteSt. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1720: Sacrarium Sancti Galli, Vol. III: consecration of churches, chapels, altars and bells in the territory of the Princely Abbey of Saint Gall (https://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/list/one/csg/1720).
Additional literatureAdditional literature – St. Galler Bibliotheksnetz (SGBN) - Verbundkatalog
Century17th century, 18th century
DecorationFigurative, Full Page, Ornamental, Penwork
Annotation Tool - Log in
There aren't any annotations for this manuscript. Be the first to create one!